KatieB ' s Dad

Rick

Kate's dad has been feeling dizzy and very tired. his dizziness has gotten to the point of being unable to stand up from the couch and walk to his bedroom. Katie made him an appointment today and we are all awaiting the information from the doctor.

I am definitely not as well versed as many of you guys and gals out there so I am asking this...

Any ideas of what can be causing this ? He has not changed any meds and his last chemo was tuesday a week ago.. His temperature is only 96f and I thought this to be a little unusual...

Thanks

Rick :(

Rick, Katie

Hopefully he is just having a bad spell and he will work his way out of it. Wish I could help with your questions... With all of the talent on the board, I'm sure we will come up wih something. Hang in there...our prayers are with you. Jack-n Cheryl

Hi Rick and Katie,

My dad experiences dizziness every now and then. We attribute it to his steroids, however I dont think Katies dad is them. My dad doesnt have brain mets, so dizziness can be a sign of many things.. I know you can develop temperary vertigo from many things, including the flu....

Dehydration comes to mind. Lucie couldn't stand up but a few seconds when she was dehydrated. I know of two ways you can test for that: (1) Pinch the skin and see if it returns normally. If it holds the pinch a while, that is a sign of dehydration. (2) If you take his blood pressure when he is lying down; then take it when he is standing -- if there is a large drop in the blood pressure while standing, that is another sign of dehydration. The answer to that one is plenty of fluids, or an IV. Good luck. Don

Katie, I am so sorry that your dad is experiencing the dizzyness and was dehydrated. I think I know what is going through your mind right now. Although many different things, as the previous posts noted, can cause the dizzyness you may want to request an MRI asap. Even if it isn't brain mets, at least it could be ruled out. And if it is, remember that much can be done. Your Dad and family are in my prayers, as always.

Take care, Deb

Guest bessb

Katie

I had the exact same thing on Sunday for a few hours. Of course I did something really kind of dumb, I got up at 4:00 a.m. after four hours of sleep and drove an hour to a big outdoor flea market on the other side of the state and then walked for four hours up and down hills dragging one of those folding carts full of heavy stuff, I started to feel dizzy and weak near the end of my trek and got scared, I was drinking water the whole time and had a hat on. When I got home I got dizzier when I stood up and had a hard time when walking anywhere in the house. I laid down and slept most of the day and night. Sometimes I do crazy things that I used to be able to do with great ease just because I really want to and don't want this damn disease to rule my life but always end up paying for it.

The next day I didn't have any dizzy spells and none today. I went today for my chemo and saw the oncologist and asked him about the dizziness and asked if he thought it was brain mets, he asked if I had headaches which I don't. He said he thought it was because my blood was a little low and I totally over exerted myself. I have had vertigo in the past, last summer, pre lung cancer days and was told at the time that it was positional vertigo, it went away and never came back till Sunday. Don't leap to the brain mets unless it continues and I PRAY it does not. Keep an eye on him (as if you wouldn't!) and keep us posted. Praying for your dad and you too.

Best always

Bess B

Katie, I hope your Dad starts to feel better really soon. It does sound like he was dehydrated. I also noticed with my mom that the more chemo treatments she received the more it wore on her body. It could be that with your Dad too. I am praying for you guys.

Katie, my husband has taken to keeping a bottle of water with him constantly. he drinks two to three a day. they told him when he was on chemo to drink lots of water so he is never without. hopefully that is what your father needed. this roller coaster is flying today. i sure wish for everyone that it could stop for a while and let all of us have some peace of mind. GOD BLESS