Healing of Surgical Site?

Wendy

I was wondering how long it has taken those of you that had their lung removed to completely heal. I am six months past the removal of my left lung and still have problems with pain and swelling at the incision site. The actual incision is located parallel with my arm and no ribs were removed or broken during the surgery.

The weird thing is that wearing a bra seems to make the problem much worse. Most days I am able to wear a bra only 4-6 hours because of the pain. The paid radiates from my chest to my back. The incision it self has healed months ago. My surgeon says that only patience and time will heal me.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!!

Wendy

Hi Wendy; well youre further out than me...had left pneumonectomy 2 months ago, but have the same pain problems as you describe. Surgeon says its not unusual to still have pain, he didnt admit Id have it for over 6mos. tho. ack.... Guess its as you say, just takes lot of patience and time before were a little more comfortable. Idont wear a bra, heh, but yea, even my shirt blowing against the nipple hurts, its so sensitive in that area. Dont know how you avoided rib removal, I had full thoracotomy, so they took one rib out too.

Im now on darvocet , a medium strenght pain med., and it just barely takes the edge off the pain so I can walk,etc...Dr. told me to supplement that with ibuprofen in between pills...said 3-4 every four hrs. is ok. Tho I know the mfgr. warns to limit to 6 perday. Dunno, doc says its ok..so...

Anyway, good luck to us...Im just waiting, walking a lot, sitting and sleeping in the chair...till I feel able to resume some likeness of normal activity and yardwork, etc...

Wendy,

First off...welcome to the boards... like they say, sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us..

Secondly, burn the bra. :roll: Seriously, I am 15 months out of surgery and still wear a sports bra because a regular bra is too painful. I am grateful because the first 6 months out of surgery I couldn't even wear a sports bra or sleep on my right side. Any sort of pressure gave me pain...on my back, side, breastbone...perhaps wearing the bra for even just a few hours is making it worse for you.

I still have pain that comes and goes, numbness and uncomfortability. When the incision is made, it cuts through alot of your nerves and it takes a long time for those nerves to reconnect. It HAS gotten better, and is something I have learned to live with. As people have said before me on this board, it's our new normal....

Hi, welcome. Question, you say you had no ribs broken? Did you have your whole left lung removed through a scope? Only a few doctors have been trained to do this in thoracic surgery, it is a lot less painful, and suppose to heal faster. Those of us with the large smiley, a couple of broken ribs seem to always have some discomfort, especially with the "appliance" Donna G

It does take a while to heal. I didn't think I would ever heal up. Seemed like it was forever. The soreness and numness does almost diminish. It took me a good year to heal up. The two end points are the last to heal. My surgeon had a name for them but I called them the "start and stop " point. I am little over a year out now and once in a while I get num there. Be patient as it does take time. Good Luck. :)

Hi Wendy!

I had top right lobe removed 9-15-03 and still have that same pain. I

know alot of people who do. Personally I think some of it is nerve pain.

But your right about the bra thing. If you can get away w/ not wearing one that's great, but for us office working people I have to wear one. It

used to be the first thing I took off when I got home from work was my

shoes and now it's my bra! How life changes! Take care!

The voice of reason regarding the bra - if it hurts, don't DO that!

Sports bra, camisole, "wife-beater"...ANYTHING but the ol' cross-your-heart bind-'em-tight thing that squeezes the dickens out of your ribs..

Some lingerie shops like Victoria's Secret sell stick on "cups" for support under formals - could work for support without wires...

I'm 19 months out from surgery. I CAN wear one now, BUT still have days where I can't due to irritation. I have a nicely healed scar, nothing that is actually catching in the material, just some pain in the nerves upon binding...and really, bouncing boobs on the knees ain't TOO bad, just gotta watch 'em trying to peek out from under a mini-skirt!! :roll:

Take it a little at a time, if you CAN handle 4-5 hours per day, don't go over that. I was amazed to find that they DON'T run away when left unleashed! :shock:

Take care,

Becky

That's quite a visual for so early in the morning, Snowflake!

Wendy - I have absolutely no advice for you. This string of posts just makes me cringe and be so glad I haven't had that type of surgery! I truly admire the strength all you folks have mustered through your diagnoses.

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa

Wendy

I had a lobectomy in June of 2000, and although it was not a constant pain (more like an annoying twinge) , the breast area certainly was numb for a good year and a half to 2 years after------It was really hard to wear a bra--and I didn't for the first three months---but then I had to go back to work and had no choice---but after awhile the pain does ease--

In the beginning, my surgeon said to use a heating pad for the pain and that seemed to work---and then he was thinking of doing a nerve block, well I did not like the thought of that ---so all of a sudden it didn't hurt as much anymore(lol)

All is back to normal now, except once in awhile I do get an ache where the incision is ---

so you seem to be right on track and normal

good luck with your healing

regards

Wendy, I am 15 months out and still hurt where they made the incision at times.I had ribs broken that I think have healed well but there are a lot of nerves and muscles that get cut as well.Now that your 6 mos. out you should start noticing steady improvement.

PS: I don't wear a bra so can't help you there.

I had a thorocotomy 1 year ago (10/2/03). I have general aches and pains @ times that come & go.....but nothing significant... and no need for any type of pain meds (not even ibuprofen). Guess I am very fortunate.

My surgeon did not have to wedge, break or remove any ribs. He explained that the were able to spread the ribs without any fracturing or need to remove any portion of the ribs. So it can be done, but its a case by case type of outcome , I think.

I have a friend at work who had his right lung (Middle and lower lobe)removed (stage 1A); they cut one of his ribs, and it didnt line up correctly when it healed-- and it causes him a great deal of discomfort.

This type of surgery is major and I have been told it can take up to a year or longer for the body to recover...

Joe

Hey Wendy,

I just want to DITTO what Okdebi shared about "BURN THE BRA"! :lol: I'm (9) years out and I still have a problem wearing a bra! I have spent LOTS OF $$$$ trying to find the right bra. I'm braless as we speak now! :oops::oops::P I also still have numbness and discomfort in that area. Some days are better then others. But in your case being so early into this, I suggest you take it easy, you have a ways to go before you'll feel (some NORMAL)!!! :roll:

Love & Hugs,

Connie

Wendy,

My dad is only 3 months out of surgery and still has pain and itching and even swelling and air trapped in there. Im not sure how long it lasts, but I hope it goes away soon. I can see how wearing a bra makes it worse... Im sure someone will have answers for you! Good Luck

Jamie

Wendy-

Hi and welcome.

Burn the bras. Don't know about you but I NEVER went without a bra, in fact I was supposed to have breast reduction surgery this past June not a lobectomy. I was so excited about going from a "G" to a "D" I couldn't stand it. Well that kinda got blown away when I was diagnosised with cancer!

I had surgery 06/01/04, still can't lay on that side very long. Still have sharp pains in the center of my chest where the Dr. dug out that damn lymph node. From what I have heard, you may have some pain/discomfort the rest of your life.

I wear these tight spandex tank tops, it kinda keeps everything from jiggling around. I can wear a bra for about 2-3 hours but it has to be loss.

SORRY GUYS FOR THE GRAPHIC INFORMATION!

Good luck!

Justakid,

I can relate to the big boob sydrome. I actually thought the pain around

the bra line was from my big boobs. You rationalize everything. God forbidden I believed it was from the lobe being taken out or the rib being

cut out. Who would of thought.

Hi Wendy, three + years after surgery and still numb and have some pain and discomfort in the surgical area and around it. I can wear a bra, but hate to anyway. I work in an office, soooo I try to find the most comfortable ones and take it off right after work. I work part time so its not so bad. Good luck. Love Nancy O.

Wendy,

After my first thoracotomy I was told I had no broken or removed ribs. Guess what? I had two broken ribs. Didn't find out that I had been "misinformed" until the second thoracotomy 10 months later. :roll:

I would really check into whether or not the ribs were cracked during surgery. I can't imagine the bust to shoulderblade incision without at least one resectioned rib.

Lose the bra.....it just isn't worth the discomfort.

Hello there!

I had surgery eight months ago and the pain is still there and the swelling and wearing a bra does make it worse. Some have had surgery several years ago and still have the pain. The elastic on the bra seems to cut into the swollen area and make it worse. My chest hurts too in the center. Maybe that is where they removed the thoracic lymph nodes. It seems a little tender. Now the doctor wants me to have a routine mammogram. Ouch! I may have to cry uncle on that one! Best wishes!

Sharon

I am a "newbe" on this board and I am not exactly sure how I am suppose to respond here - so I will post a reply here. (Can someone let me know how it is normally done?)

Thank you one and all for your insight and information. Many gave some pretty graphic and hiliarious details that keep me smiling long after I sign off this site. Your information actual makes me feel much better knowing that my aches and pains are normal!

Donna G and Fay A both made comments as to whether I did indeed have ribs broken during the actual surgery. Your comments made me want to investigate further - I could have swore that the surgeon said that the ribs were only spread during the surgery - BUT now I am curious as to if I misheard. I will look into it further and let you know.

I hope one and all have a great weekend and again, thanks for the insight!

Wendy

• 16 years later...

Have been searching for answers. 15 months ago I too had left lung removed. The pain is better, but constantly there. Bras really make it more painful. None of the doctors made any mention of how painful post surgery would be and how long. Any suggestions as to wear to order a comfortable bra?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Barb,

I'm sorry you're still having pain. Just so you know, this thread is from 2004. 

You MIGHT get a better response if you start a new thread, maybe here: https://forums.lungevity.org/forum/59-surgery/ It might be helpful if you told us exactly what type of surgery you got and what you have tried for pain relief. 

Have you let the surgeon know you're still having bad pain? The surgery I had was VATS, so pain really wasn't a problem for me. I hope you get some relief soon.