Dad just diagnosed

Thanks for your strength and support everyone. Well basically my Dad is now sufficiently weaned off the ventilator and is clear of any chest infection, and he has had is trachie tube removed. Basically the docs have advised and we have agreed that if he has another infection or crisis the idea now is to let him go peacefully without attempting to put him back on the ventilator again.... He is very confused most of the time and yesterday he was calling me and i was stood right beside him but it was like he couldn't hear me or see me..... which was very distressing...

Next week the plan is to move him to a hospice as he is no longer needing hospital attention. The one last problem we have is that he won't eat or drink sufficently so they have removed his intraveanous feed to see if that gets his appetite back and if he still refuses to eat they will have to re-insert the intraveanous feed, which might hinder the move to the hospice.... Anyway thanks all and i will chat again soon.....

xena, since your dad is just diagnosed and he is now suffered from pnuemonia, so I think doctors would not do the chemo right now as they has to treat the pnuemonia first, like my dad. If the pnuemonia is caused by lung cancer, pnuemonia may not be completely recovered, the doctor still needs to start chemo, but provided that pnuemonia is recovered a lot as a pre-requisite.

Don't worry too much, you have a long jounery to go, it is not a easy fight. But I know now is the hardest moment for you and your dad as well as other family members. Take good care and read more related articles and do researching as much as you can. This will help you better understand what the current and future things you have to deal with.

God bless.

Dad didn't go to hospice as he is refusing food and not drinking enough fluids so he is now in a side room on a medical ward. He sleeps most of the day now, and when he wakes he is confused and delerius or he just stares. He is on no oxygen now, just fluids thats all. The nurses keep offering him food but he gets annoyed and when he does eat its a few mouthfulls thats it. The other night he had another epileptic fit, which we think is due to the brain mets?? Anyway every day is precious and thankyou all for your kind words and prayers.

God bless Xena

Hi Xena

I have just been reading this thread, and am so sorry to hear about your Dad's condition. This disease is so heartbreaking - you ask how will you cope? - I don't know, but you WILL.

I hope they are able to keep your father comfortable and that you are able to share some peaceful and happy times together. And I'm still holding out for that miracle - it could happen!! Don't give up!

Love and strength to you and your family.

Karen

Dear Xena,

You are right when you say that everyday is precious. Your father's cancer journey sounds so much like one of my brother's. He was so sick at dx and required intubation. But, the docs did get his infection cleaned up and he shortly became strong enough to withstand some chemo.

Those following days, weeks, and months were precious to me and to his family. Fight for treatment if it possible for him... Don't give up, yet.

Cindi o'h

Hi everyone, firstly i would like to say a big thankyou to everyone who has offered me support over the past few months.

My Dad passed away last night, from Wednesday morning he started having a lot of epileptic fits and they had to sedate him,since then his breathing deterioated rapidly and he passed away to a peaceful place where i know he will be loking down on all of us in peace.