Question

Mark67

I know this is a Lung Cancer Forum but I thought maybe someone could help. My mother just passed away from lung cancer a couple of months ago and just when the dust started to settle now the doctors are telling us that my father has Melanoma Skin cancer that has spread to his eye and its very large. I think its called Intraovular Melanoma, We know he is going to loose his eye but there isn't much more that we have been told. So my question is since his cancer is skin cancer that has spread to his eye does this eliminate the possibilities of his cancer being localized, would this mean its Metastasizing. Does anyone have any information.

Mark,

I'm not a doctor, nor am I involved in the health care profession except from the "remove everything from the waist up and put on the gown" side.

That being said, my understanding is that cancer that has "traveled" is considered metastisized (I KNOW I spelled that wrong). For some cancers, that does NOT mean it cannot be "cured", just that it won't be as easy as say a Stage I primary tumor.

Do a websearch on it, try WebMD.com to begin with.

It sounds serious, but it doesn't necessarily sound terminal.

Good luck!

Becky

Mark,

First of all, please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother. I wish you'd found us before her passing so that we could've provided some support to you.

Secondly, I'm sorry to read of your father's melanoma. My FIL is dealing with a very rare, very aggressive skin cancer that's similar to melanoma, and when I did a google search for the particular type of cancer, I got LOTS of info, so you might want to try that. And I second the motion to get your father to sign a release so you can talk to his doctors.

Good luck in your search for info and in finding a cure!

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa

My next door neighbor, an elderly woman, has melanoma to the eye. She is very familiar with melanoma, as her husband passed away from it many years ago.

Apparently it can spread and be limited to the eye. (Hers is nowhere else, and I am certain they looked....). Treatment was localized radiation, not sure if it was focused radiation or if she had a pellet implant. The cancer is killed, I believe, but she has limited vision in that eye now.

This is not as uncommon as it first sounded to me, nor as bad.

Good luck researching...

XOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn