Okay...so I'm disappointed with the world....

Fay A.

I watch professional athletes and entertainers and the every day guy down the street, not to mention his girlfriend and wife and kids act like thugs....and I think to myself, "Our Society is not that far removed from the days of the Gladiators....Humans Vs the Lions, with a whole Colosseum of people cheering on the victor, whether or not the victor has any redeeming qualities other than that they won....this time."

I'm feeling a bit sad these days, and disappointed. And a little less inclined to fight so hard if what I have to look forward to is more fighting and more envy and more anger and more hate.

I use to think I could make a difference in the world, one person at a time. Silly me.

One person at a time? 1600+ posts here and you don't think you've improved the world one person at a time. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and buck up.

Speaking of athletes, you have heard me I am sure rant about how awesome Gregg Easterbrook is. In a column a couple of years ago, he got fed up with all of the overt piety in athletes. The whole "Thank you, Jesus, for making me the baddest *ss on the planet" attitude that pervades athletics. And he wrote a prayer for competition that I thought was truly fabulous. Represents the best of piety and athletics, I think:

God, let me play well but fairly.

Help me to learn something that matters

once the game is over.

Let competition make me strong but never hostile.

Always let me help my opponent up.

Never catch me rejoicing in the adversity of others.

If I know victory, allow me to be happy; if I am denied, keep me from envy.

Remind me that sports are just games.

If through athletics I set an example,

let it be a good one.

Curtis

Fay,

You have made a great difference here...to me and to many others. One person can make a big difference just by being there. You have a way with words and a wonderful way of encouraging others. Keep it up and I hope we can do the same for you. I am so sorry you are feeling rough right now. I hope that part changes for you very soon. I have you in my prayers.

Nina

Oh great Fay. I come on the board, minding my own business, planning to read and then leave. And here is another one of your posts that I don't have any clue how to answer :shock: .

Sounds like you are not having a great week. I'm sorry that you are feeling down but in case you have forgotten, you sure as HELL make a difference in people's lives and the world is a better place because you are in it. You are like the Princess Warrior of the LCSC board for crying out loud and a power of example to so many of us, even if we don't always say it.

You are not alone Fay. I think of you every single day....

Yesterday was a busy day - when we finally got home, a car pulled up in the drive, who is that? And it was an elderly couple from next door, come over to cheer us up. They have as many or more troubles as we do - And I thought to myself once more, there are so many good people in the world, so many decent people -

Maybe it is like I used to think of guys, where are all the good guys? But there are plenty of good guys, they are just not so noticable as the "bad" guys.

You make a difference to me. And I truly think the world is more good than bad, it is just that the bad is louder sometimes.

Love, Margaret

(((FAY)))

Sometimes what we see out these in the world IS enough to really bring us down.

Then, something happens when we are really put to a test and the wonderful side of human nature that seemed to have vanished becomes omni-present (and all the unostentatious people who are striving to live a good life seem to show up and step up to the plate).

Does that mean that there are people out there who haven't been warped for one tragic reason or another--and behave accordingly? No. I feel sad for them (even Cheryl's boss; Karen and David C's adoption liason; etc.).

When New York's twin towers came down, I worked at Ground Zero for 9 months and was amazed and uplifted in one of the saddest places by all the wonderful people I met down there (many of whom I never would have met, because we live such parallel lives in such a large metropolis). I saw people in such pain be so strong; I saw countless people give selflessly of themselves to and for complete strangers--not to mention principle (long after the events of that day were in the headlines) day after day, week after week, month after month. Some people came by the droves for photo-opts in the beginning--but (the vast majority of them) did not stick around the foxhole. All types of people, though (all races, all socio-economic classes, all genders, all religions, and of all political persuasions) came together and worked side by side relentlessly. Bonds were formed--and "family" we became. I truly love them--and believe that this emotion is reciprocated (although some of them are such tough guys, they might not articulate it that way three years later. But, yet, they might--I wouldn't put ANYTHING past them. They never cease to amaze me.) Many of them still "look out" for me on a daily basis. In short, I would be lost without them.

I guess my point is--NYC is a reflection of all of it--both good and bad--in a way. I love my hometown--but am increasingly upset by the way that many people are driven by the pursuit of the All-Mightly Dollar, fame, and power (all of which are frquently quite fleeting). Some quadrants of my beloved city have become not just gauche, but truly disturbing. (To the point that Geoff and I used to talk about how the modern day "Bread and Circuses" are funded by tax-dollars and maybe we should move to New Zealand to escape before the barbarians hit the gates). As a teacher, I see the culture reflected in my students at times, and it makes me go home and cry. Then--the next day--they will do something wonderful that makes my heart sing for years.

As a teacher--I KNOW that one person CAN make a difference one person at a time. Otherwise I would change professions and select something that didn't make me work as hard and actually paid me something.

And Fay--regradless of whether the barbarians are rattling their spears at the gates yet, or not--YOU have made a tremendous difference in so many people's lives here (in cyber space, of all places). I know that Geoff and I have been touched profoundly by you in many ways (the way you face your battles, your sage advice, and your tremendous intellectual ability that is only dwarfed by your HUGE heart.). I'm sorry we don't say "Thank you." more often.

I am sorry that you are so discouraged right now. But for all the envy, anger, and hate that is so readily seen--there is an equal, if not far superior, amount of respect, love, and a sense of duty out there.

We love you.

Fondly,

Melinda (and Geoff)

Fay,

I am sorry that your rose-colored glasses are smudged. You are one person I depend on to see the good in everyong, someone that has always been able to say - "take a breath and then see where they are coming from". So, Fay, it's MY turn to be the wise sage here, the hermit yogi on the mount...

There IS bad in the world. Bad things happen to good people. Good people do bad things, it makes them human. Good people apologize if they have wronged someone, good people atone for their wrongs. Good people are everywhere, not innocent people, but good people. Good things still happen in the world, but good things don't sell newspapers and television stories.

People still organize fund raisers for children facing cancer and huge medical bills. People still donate to neighbors that have lost everything in a fire - a family here lost everything including their dog in a fire while at a doctor's appointment...

Fay, your focus needs to be adjusted. You are narrowing in on the negative and that is SO not normal for you. How can I help you to get your perspective back? You are not a PollyAnna, you have a very firm grasp on reality - but you look at people from both sides, viewing all the facets, you don't make snap decisions. Take some reflection time in your "Early 'Merican Trompled Garden" and refresh your soul.

I love you, Miss A! I'm pulling for you, don't you DARE let go of the rope!

Becky

Fay,

Very sorry to hear this. You do make a very big differences to me and have helped me in my battle. I admire and respect you. That's something people earn not given. We all have an off day. Please get back on the saddle and do what you do best. Showing the world what it takes to battle this disease and helping people in there battle. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rich

Unless somebody else squeezes in a post while I'm typing this, I just counted 13 people (including you) that aren't angry or hateful, and now 14, counting me. Quite the opposite of the athletes/entertainers/neighbors that prompted your post, huh?

Jesus said, "Be of GOOD CHEER, I have overcome the world!" Ahhhhh, quite comforting, don't you think?

Today: Hug a child and turn him/her upside down and listen to their loud shrills of joy. Play with a puppy until it makes its little growl and gets all wound up. Let a kitten fall asleep in your lap. And the best one: Go re-read all the Just For Laughs posted in the last two weeks.

Hugs to you, Fay. It will get better. This too shall pass.

Love,

Peggy

Fay,

I'm so sorry you feel like that. I too feel that way about the world sometimes. And....you have made a difference, dear Fay, you made a difference in my life with your advice, caring and support and I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way about you. So, you have made a difference in the world. Believe it.

I believe I am now #16 to chime in here...

I love your posts, I love your outlook on life, I love your bizarre sense of humor, I love that you are here for all of us. You make such a difference here I imagine you do the same with your family, friends, and anyone else you come in contact with.

Now buck up, we have chickens and okdebi is not afraid to send them. Debi I'm thinking the fryer special for Fay...

Love ya Fay!

Okay Ry, the fryer special is the dozen chickens for 20 bucks? The only problem is that Fay will have to go to the post office to pick them up since they won't deliver live chickens to the door...

These mail order chickens are so tempting....I wonder if they would dress them up like flamingos?

Dear, dear Fay,

I think we ALL know what you mean and how you feel; there isn't one of us, I'm sure, who hasn't been there, and especially those of you who are battling the beast on top of everything else; everything else meaning the meanness and venality and stupidity that bombards us everyday in what passes for Our Culture; the selfishness so rampant everywhere; the horrors, whether natural or man-made, that afflict people all over the globe; the pettiness that seems to be our daily lot -- I could go on and on, but then I remember the other side -- the kindness and love and helpfulness that we see every day on this board as well as other places, the joys of everyday life, a perfect sunrise or sunset, a new bud on a plant, the beauty of music and art and books and good food and good wine AND good friends and, of course, family. Not to say that there aren't family that fit in the first to-be-dreaded category, but, no, I didn't really say that....

You, Fay, have brought all the good things to our minds in many ways through your posts. I hope that they, and we, can help lift you out of that terrible slough in which you seem to find yourself right now.

Love,

Ellen

Fay,

Your contribution to this group is evident in all of the previous posts..... Obviously you are greatly treasured here.... stay focused and stay positive....

I am sure everyone will agree, we look forward to your next 1600 posts!!!

WITH EVERY DIFFICULTY ~ THERE IS RELIEF............LISA :)

I don't post all that much. The reason is because I don't express myself well sometimes. Like I told everone before I hated English class where I had to write and write. Anyway my point here is this....Fay, you have always had a way with words and you have took those words and put them into writing and on many occasions changed my day from bad to good.

Now Fay.... :) ....and I hope it does make you feel better.

Fay--

Your sense of humor and wisdom have certainly made a difference to me whether I've ever told you before or not. I always look forward to reading anything I see posted by Fay A. Your entitled to a bad day too given the beast you're fighting. But please remember you've made a difference to many of us and you're someone I admire very much.

Gail P-M