It wasn't just a headache

TAnn

I just got the call today from my onc. to tell me the results of the brain MRI I had done a week ago. I have 6 brain mets. He says they are VERY small, in fact so small that he can hardly believe they would cause any symptoms....like the headaches. But, leave it to me to "throw 'em for a loop".....

I have a consult with the radiation dept. on Wednesday to discuss WBR. I know many of you have had this procedure and I would sure appreciate anything you can tell me about what to expect and what questions I should ask. And what the actual procedure itself is like. I have not had any kind of radiation at all, so I am clueless and scared :cry: .

Thank you and I am praying for all of us...

TAnn

Sorry to hear this TAnn. I have not had radiation to the brain or mets there so I can not offer you any help there. I did have radiation to the chest but I am sure the brain is different. There are lots of people here who have had brain mets and am sure you will be getting more replies.

Hang on and don't let this dip in the road get you down.

You might want to ask about things like Temador and RSR13

RSR13 is a radiosensitizer. I think the theory is that they can limit the radiation dose, but get the same effect because it sensitizes the met to radiation.

Temodar is a a oral chemotherapy that will pass the blood-brain barrier.

I think neither are FDA approved yet for mets, they are in clinical trials.

TAnn

My heart is breaking for you because I know how frightened you must be. I can guarantee that the full force of love from this website will gather around you as you zap those beasts. They are small, Tann, and love is large! Besides your family, you have all of us.

I wish there were more that I could do.

elaine

TAnn.....sorry for this news, but will be sending all kinds of good thoughts your way. I can understand the stress you've been under this past week waiting: I'm having a Brain MRI tomorrow to look for mets, and will be a basket case waiting on the results.

Best wishes to you,

Mary

TAnn.....sorry for this news, but will be sending all kinds of good thoughts your way. I can understand the stress you've been under this past week waiting: I'm having a Brain MRI Wednesday to look for mets, and will be a basket case waiting on the results.

Best wishes to you,

Mary

Boy am I tired of reading about so many people here developing brain mets! Doesn't there seem to be an epidemic of it these days? :cry:

TBone actually handled his 15 WBR treatments very well, but did lose his hair after the 7th or 8th one. Other than that though, it really didn't have much effect on how he felt.

I would imagine that you're having a rough time with this, as would anybody. Maybe if you go back to those old, old posts (January of this year) and refer to all the ideas submitted as creative uses for your radiation mask, you can at least have a laugh or two. I'll try to find it for you. The LEAST I can do is try to bring a smile to your face.

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa

TAnn,

I'm SO VERY GLAD you had symptoms before you were "supposed to"! Maybe with them being so small the treatment won't be as hard on you...

I have not been where you are, so I have no specifics to share. Just know that I am here for you whenever you need someone to talk to - I'll even send you my phone number if you'd like.

Hang in there, girl! They may be there, but it sounds like you have a headstart at heading 'em off, so to speak!

Hugs,

Becky

TAnn,

RATS!!!!!! I really didn't think you would be coming back with this kind of post, but since you have, guess we'll just have to blast those critters straight to hell where they belong!

My husband had WBR. His hair came out on the 8th day of treatment, he had some fatigue, and got a very, very dry scalp. Other than that, and a little confusion for a short period of time, he did great, and is still doing great. If he's absent-minded now, I blame it on age instead of WBR! :lol:

The fear is normal, and if I had to have it done to myself, even knowing that he did ok, I would be afraid, too. Some of that just comes from the fact those varmits are there. ZAP'EM!!!!!

Love,

Peggy

TAnn, I know this sounds horribly scary, I was scared for my husband when they told him he had to have WBR, however, we are on his twelth day now and the only problems he has had is a little muscle weakness in his legs. He has not had any extra fatigue, in fact, he says he feels a lot better. He is being slowly weaned off the steroids which the Drs. gave him to take down the swelling around the tumors.

When he went for his first appointment the neurologist gave him a short examination and then they made a mask to fit his face exactly. Apparently it is a sort of net mask and it feels warm when they put it on at first but other than that it was not unpleasant at all. Dave is going every day for three weeks and he says it takes about ten minutes for each session. He tells me it's a "piece of cake!"

Zap these things my Dear and feel better soon.

Paddy

TAnn,

I am sick to hear about this for you. You certainly don't deserve this. Of course you are scared my Dear. The unknown is always scarey. but you have conquered some pretty heaviy duty treatments thus far. You are truely a cancer warrier.

The mets are very small, and very treatable right now. I myself have always feared getting them, and am not immune from getting them still. I wish that I could somehow make you feel better. I wish I could make them disappear for you. Don't worry TAnn, this treatment will make them disappear for you.

You are in my prayers and thoughts,

Cheryl

T-Ann,

So sorry to hear about the mets. It is a good thing that you found them when they are small and have a better chance of responding well.

I know you are scared. I would be hysterical...but others have gotten through it well. About all of us that haven't experienced it yet can do is rely on their results. I hope your response is wonderful and that those critters are zapped for good. I also wish you NO BAD SIDE EFFECTS. I will keep you in my prayers...let us know how you are doing.

Nina