Update on Mom

Geoff

Hey Gang,

I wanted to give everyone an update. Mom is resting fairly comfortably in the hospital. They are trying to straiten out her pain meds so that she is pain free but not wonked out. She has begun having lower back pain probably from the cancer so they will more than likely give her radiation for that. We are fortunate to have a big family so someone is with her 24/7. I’m still investigating treatment options and will probably get her on TM and phenylbutyrate. I’m also investigating the possibility getting her some Avastin. I think most of the Docs are not willing to give her interthecal chemo because she is so weak. Also she has already had WBR recently so they cant give her much more of that either. The Docs at Sloan have given her a prognosis of weeks and I and the family are waying quality of life issues.

Prayer is my major source strength and hope. On the drive to the hospital yesterday I was praying as I usually do, and I noticed that the car in front of me had the license plate AMIRICL. God is good. :)

All the best and prayers for all,

Geoff

Here is an abstract on the phenylbutyrate:

Sodium 4-phenylbutyrate induces apoptosis of human lung carcinoma cells through activating JNK pathway.

Zhang X, Wei L, Yang Y, Yu Q.

Pulmonary Center, Department of Medicine, and Department of Biochemistry, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118.

Sodium 4-phenylbutyrate (PB) has been used in the therapy of urea cycle defects for many years. Recently, it has been shown to cause cellular differentiation, growth arrest, and apoptosis in certain malignancies. We have analyzed the effects of PB on human lung carcinoma cells. PB has distinct patterns of effects on different lung carcinoma cells, inducing apoptosis in NCI-H460 and NCI-H1792 cells, causing G1 arrest in A549 and SK-LU-1 cells, but having no effect on a non-transformed bronchial epithelial cell line HBE4-E6/E7. We investigated the role of MAP kinase family members, extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK), JNK, and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK), as well as other important cell survival signaling molecules in PB-induced apoptosis. We observed activation of JNK and ERK by PB in the lung cancer cells. JNK was activated only in the two apoptotic cells, whereas ERK was activated in both the apoptotic and the growth-arrested cells, demonstrating a correlation between apoptosis and activation of JNK in response to PB. Both JNK inhibitor and JNK RNA interference (RNAi) inhibited PB-induced apoptosis, whereas MEK inhibitor did not, supporting that apoptosis induced by PB is through activation of JNK. De novo protein synthesis is required for the PB-induced JNK activation and induction of apoptosis. However, the production of known upstream activators of JNK, namely Fas/Fas ligand, tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha, TNF-beta, and TRAIL, are not altered by PB treatment. Therefore, PB activates JNK through an unidentified and cell type-specific mechanism. Understanding of this mechanism is of therapeutic value in treating cancer patients with PB. Copyright 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

Geoff,

I dreaded opening this to read the update. I'm sorry to hear your mom isn't progressing the way you had hoped, and the way that ALL of us had hoped. I am very happy to hear that she is resting and has family with her 24/7. The quality of life decision is a tough one and my prayers are with you for guidance. You're a good son, Geoff. I hope you know that.

All my love and may God bless you with His presence,

Love,

Peggy

Geoff,

I'm so sorry to hear of the difficult time your Mom is having. I'm glad you have a large family to share some of the difficult times with. Quality of life issues are not easy to deal with. I've been through that one before. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this difficult time.

Gail P-M

GEoff,

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's decline. I have you all in my prayers and hope that she can be pain free soon. Take care of each other and spend as much time with her as you can. You are a good son and have been there for your mom. Tell Melinda that I have her mother in my prayers as well.

Nina

Dear Geoff,

I'm sorry to hear your news but glad that you've got a good and caring family that can rally around at this time when she needs you all the most. I'm sure it's a great comfort to her to have you all there and to know how much you all care. I hope that you can have some good time with her now and that you can handle all the hard decisions that must be made as you go along.

Know that we're praying for and thinking of you, Melinda, your mother and everyone in your family.

Ellen