Made the decision: It's On To Radiation....

elnodel

After the final round of chemo at the end of August, we’ve now finished our round of tests, consultations, etc., etc., to decide on further, if any, treatment, and met with the radiation oncologist today. Most of the news we’ve gotten has been encouraging: a clean CT scan (hurrah!), a decent, if not overwhelming, pulmonary function test, normal blood results…so we had some qualms about starting all over again; still, the thought of all those possible microscopic cancer cells lurking within gave us even more pause. As the radiation oncologist said, Len fell into that grey area – no nice, neat, black and white do’s and don’t-s for us – but he’s done very well on everything so far; all the decisions we’ve made seem to have been validated; so we decided, with the rad. onc’s concurrence, to roll the dice once more and go ahead with radiation.

The good news was that Len will only need 28 treatments, so that’s better than the seven weeks we were fearing. Dr. Weissburg felt that the side effects should be fairly minimal since he’ll be bombarding the centre of the chest (where the one errant lymph node was found, post-surgery) and not the lung itself. So we’re signing on and hoping for the best.

Thanks to all of you who had posted responses when I asked how others had weathered radiation. Your input was invaluable and really helped us sort through everything. Len’s going for his initial “positioning” on Thursday and will probably get started with the actual treatment in a little under two weeks. In the meantime, we’re reading all the horrible information they send home with you, some of which is enough to tempt you to change your mind! But there’s more upbeat info in there as well – plus the example of all of those on the board who had encouraged us so much!

Ellen

Ellen,

I am of the 'leave no stone unturned' school of thought. Earl was willing to take any treatment offered to beat this disease.

I hope Len's journey through radiation is easy and fruitful. Something I have not seen posted here for sometime is Carafat. Earl took it, with juice, at the hospital before and after each radiation treatment and then I gave it to him 2x a day on the weekend. I had to bring the Carafat to the hospital. Earl never had that horrible esophageal burn that some many have mentioned. I truly believe it was due to the Carafat. Ask your doctor.

Thinking about you.

Love,

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement. Len was a little depressed after we made the decision...he SO wanted to be through with treatment, but he's being more philosophical now and as determined as ever to, in Ginny's words, "leave no stone unturned".

I'm asking the rad. onc. about both amifostine and carafat. Any other tips?

Ellen

Ellen so glad to hear about radiation!

My mom recently went through it. A tip is for esophagus pain--liquid vicadin. The good thing about radiation for my mom was that just when the pain and side effects got bad, she was in the last week. It is like a cumulative effect and 5 weeks will fly by!!!!

Also make sure pl enty of rest time, it made her tired.

Other than that, nothing major to report.

Will be sending all good thoughts for Len. Like I told Steve, "After all these years you finally get a tatoo and it's not even my name!" Of course, he was quick to respond that you just had to connect the dots :wink:

One hint - Steve's eating took a big hit with the chest radiation and it ended up being acid reflux even though the symptoms were not at all what we would have expected for that. So keep it in mind if eating takes a big downhill swing.

Of course I'm always a few days behind everyone!

Also remember this is coming from the walking "Murphy's Law"!

Watch out for throat yeast infections! I've had 4 now, three during radiation treatment and one after, during chemo. Tha radiation Dr called it "recall".

I don't know how to really describe it. Pain, burning, nausea, swelling and pain again in the throat. Be very aware of how you feel and talk to your Dr.! The last yeast infection put me in the hospital for 4 days because my throat swelled so much.

Don't want to scare you, please just be aware of your bodies feelings. Those infections are nasty!

Good Luck!!!!

Looks like Dianne and I are in the 10% with metallic taste on treatment...

I found that sucking on sour candy (Altoids Tangerine Sours) kept down some of the taste... I popped about six of 'em in my mouth before being situated on the table and concentrated on keeping the spit moving when the machine started to buzz...

Tastes the worst while it's shootin', not too bad on lingering...except for at the end...when it's okay that nothing tastes good cuz ya can't flippin' eat it anyway! :wink:

There are many hints on what to do when the irritation begins, do a search here...

Strange, huh Becky.

I didn't get the irritation in my mouth, just the bad taste. They kept telling me that if the inside of my mouth felt sensitive to stop using Listerine, but that never happened thankfully. Things just had a strange taste, so I latched onto the popsicles early on. I started out using Life Savers, but didn't want all that sugar in my mouth and teeth, so switched to popsicles. Dole has boxes of them made from real fruit juice with no sugar added - they are great!

Di