Taxotere side effects?

Jana_W

Hi all

I have a little query.......my Mum has just started a clinical trial and she is taking both taxotere and an anti-angiogenesis experimental drug. She just started the taxotere on Monday and on Tuesday night she had an episode of "hot flushing" which lasted for quite some time, gradually decreasing in severity. Her blood pressure was pretty OK and her temp was not particularly raised. She is seeing the clinical trial nurses today and will mention it to them, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experience this with taxotere?

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who can help.

with best wishes

Jana

xxxx

Thanks for the reply Joe. I didn't understand the drug (PI88) to be a monoclonal, but maybe it is. The following is an excerpt describing it

Progen’s lead candidate PI-88 has been developed under an IND with the US FDA and the company has conducted clinical trials in the UK, USA, Taiwan and Australia. PI-88 has an excellent IP position with Progen granted several associated patents in the US and world-wide, covering the drug, its manufacture and usage. PI-88 is antiangiogenic and targets the important growth factors VEGF, FGF-1 and –2, with demonstrated antitumor activity while maintaining an outstanding safety and tolerability profile

Not sure if that gives you any more information. But I will try to look into it more to find out. I have not seen it referred to as a monoclonal antibody in any of my lit searches to date, but maybe I just missed it.

Cheers

Jana

x

When Lucie was taking Taxotere (plus Carboplatin), she did not have hot flushes/flashes. But she was also taking an anti-depressant, Celexa, which could have taken care of it. She recently was being treated with Navelbine, which did cause hot flashes, and the onc put her on Effexor, an anti-depressant that does minimize hot flashes. It worked for her. Don

A web search said PI88 is a sulphated carbohydrate. PI88 was developed in Austrailia it looks like and probably there is no trial in the states at least right now.

I think Joe was refereing to Velcade?

This article is interesting it says PI88 is a herapinase inhibitor, so researchers are still investigating anti-coagulation as a cancer therapy, kinda like LWMH.

http://www.glycoforum.gr.jp/science/wor ... GA10E.html

I was on a clinical trial that included Taxotere with ZD-7474, an oral antiogenisis. Usually the day after the administratin of the Taxotere I got a red "flush" on my cheeks. It usually lasted only 1 or 2 days after the administration of the Taxotere. HOWEVER, I was also taking dexamethasone, a steriod, 1 day before, the day of and the day after chemo. I have just been put on dexamathesone again as I am going to start whole brain radiation soon and I woke up this morning with the "flush" face. Maybe it's the steroids???

TAnn

Thanks everyone for your feedback and information on when you had hot flushes. Mum didn't have any last night, so although we are none the wise as to what actually caused it, I am glad she was OK last night. I did pass on all your information to both Mum and Dad, who are very grateful for all your help, as are my sister and I. Cancer and it's treatment sure is a very tricky thing to navigate your way around. She's having some more of the PI-88 today and I think she might be stopping the glutamine for concern that was causing the problem.

Best wishes to all

Jana

xxxx

FYI Jana :wink:

I did some research on this and found that hot flashes are actually one of the less common side effects of taxotere.

I hope that Mum is going to continue with the glutamine, both to help with the side-effects of the chemo and to possibly increase its efficacy. I did some research on glutamine too, and it is sometines used in the treatment of hot flashes, so presumably wouldn't cause them!!!

Who knows??!!

Karen

Jana,

I am taking a taxane derivative called paclitaxol,along with carboplaton in a clinical trial. Since the chemo goes more to the cancer instead of the healthy cells, there are fewer side effects. I will post of my results in an upcoming CT. I have not lost my hair, and do not feel too bad. A little tired, some indigestion a few days following chemo, which is cured with over the counter stomach antiacids. There has also been some numbness in my toes. This chemo is suppose to be more effective than taxol and easier on the body.

I am not sure you can get it in your country yet. Some drugs they wikk fly to you if you find a reputable doctor and clinic. Mine is flown to Mary Crowley's Research Center every three weeks, who are participating in the study. You would have to work it out with them. Keep us potsed!

Cheryl