Health Problems

Laurie

Hi Everyone,

I want to apologize for not posting more. I have been ill and am disabled.. although sometimes I don't feel that bad other times I'm slumped over and feel like I have mono. Every one tells me I look Good.. but its not how you look its how you feel... :lol: I'm working with a physical trainer from the Kansas City Chiefs who feels bad for me... Hes an ex Tight End!!! :lol::lol::lol: Opps got a little carried away there... Anyway so I tried reading through the financial section but I don't have the stamina in my arms (tremors) to keep reading through all the posts. They doctor disabled me through year 2006 for my neck injury (My doctor said its one of the worst necks hes ever seen) :shock: accute pain and fibromyalga. I'm so confused by what this means. I'm so concerned with getting my body better. I used to live in California and have been out of work since may so technically i'm filling late but I didn't think I wouldn't be going back to work. Now I live in Phoenix AZ. Is disability run by the state or the federal government? If I get better do think I will have a hard time getting hired by another company? Do claims usually get denied? Which doctor should fill out the form??? I'm so confused..... :shock: Any advice is appreciated.

Hugs to all

Laurie

Hi, Laurie, sorry you are having such a tough time. I hope you have some good medicine to keep you comfortable most of the time. I only know some of these answers but here goes.

Social Security Disability is a federal program. You can apply online or call the nearest office and they will set up an interview. You can even do an interview over the phone. I would recommend an in person interview in the nearest office. There is an initial form you fill out, then they do the legwork. They will want a list of all your medical providers and if you have it, a list of tests you have taken. If you don't have the test list, that is okay. They will have you sign medical releases and then then they will contact all the medical providers and request a copy of your records.

Some conditions are almost guarenteed to be approved. Others are more controversial. You can find a list of the "automatic" disability conditions by searching the net for social security and bluebook or blue book. Metastatic lung cancer is on the list. I am not sure of your conditions, you will have to just try. I have heard of some people who needed lawyers to get approved but other people who's applications sail right though. It may depend on the condition and the notes your doctor has kept. It sounds like you should have no trouble.

You can apply as soon as you are off work but the case will take anywhere from 2-6 months to get a ruling. Ours took 3. They start paying you when you are off work 5 months, but they hold back the first month, so $$ starts flowing about 6 months after your last day of work.

I don't know about the finding a job later -

Anyway, contact SS today, just call them, number is in the phone book. Give em what you got, they will do the rest on their own.

Keep in touch, if problems come up someone here can probably help.

Best wishes!! Margaret

Some conditions are almost guarenteed to be approved. Others are more controversial. You can find a list of the "automatic" disability conditions by searching the net for social security and bluebook or blue book. Metastatic lung cancer is on the list.

Here is a link to the site of automatic approvals. Lung cancer is under 13.0 (13.13). Also you are allowed to work and make 830.00 per month while your case is being decided so you have a little income in the meantime. Hope this helps.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professio ... stings.htm

Laurie there are attorneys who specialize in just helping you get social security and dealing with disability. Binder and Binder is one of them that i know is all over, you might want to check to see if they have a branch close to you in Arizona.

I hope you feel better!!!

Laurie, Let me begin by saying that I'm so sorry that you havn't been feeling well.

My sister was diagnosed with fibromyalgia four years ago, and was so relieved when she was-she thought she had lupus. As my sister told me: "fibromyalgia is not fatal- but when you have a flair up it sure feels like it is." From what she told me, it is very hereditary (so far I have been lucky and it seems to have skipped me-but my great-grandmother had it, and my mother and sister both have been diagnosed with it.

Common treatment of fibromyalgia is the use of anti-depressants-prozac and the like-sounds weird, but it works. In fact, many people in the past with "F" didn't even know they had it-as it is VERY HARD to diagnose. You see, stress brings on flair ups (good stress-ie:weddings and the like and bad stress can bring it on). So their doctors would perscribe anti-depressants-the patient would feel better-but not because they were depressed, but because the medication actually treats the disease-so it was thought that these folks suffered from depression and that the depression brought on the physical pain and exaustion...weird huh? The really confusing part is this: the flair ups happen AFTER the stress has gone away-weird, yes, but that is how it works. My sister had a flair up a few months after the stress of my dads diagnosis, although he was doing really well and we were able to relax and enjoy ourselves a bit-the flair up came out during the 'easier' times, and after the really stressful time. Go figure.

So, flair ups will come and go, you don't have to go the medication route, but seeing as though you have a bad neck injury on top of the fibromyalgia, you want to do whatever will get you feeling better. Of course there are varying degress of the disease, again not fatal, but it can be somewhat dibilitating-so your questions regarding disability are definently warrented, even if you only need it temporarily.

I will ask my mom about it this evening, she retired from Social Security two years ago. In the meantime, I hope you feel better. And remember, it isn't fatal, it just can feel that way during flair ups. I hope this was of some help to you. Take care, Deb

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your support!!! I can't say enough... I feel so bad posting here but I feel like you guys are my family. I don't want to bother my parents, they get so upset and keep offering to come and take me back to NH!! The problem is I don't want to freeze to death :shock: I enjoy the sunlight and I'm to old to live with my parents!! I'm a grown woman with a mind all of her own.

For some reason I have been feeling as good as I have in months!! I have had 3 good days with only minor problems. I have been able to go outside and do normal errands and so forth without much problem..THANK YOU GOD

My Disability came through just in the nick of time. I got a check for back wages too. I'm still going to be going through a barrage of medical testing for the next two weeks... but so far from what I can see my neck injury is causing my spine to be tilted over to one side and my hip is being pulled up. The doctor said that I am close to being paralyzed... if the stenosis continues (Narrowing and compression of the spinal cord).....and perhaps I may need neurosurgery... and if not I'M DONE...(his exact words) :shock: As for the fibro well they think there are many reasons why I am having it including I have an overproducuction of spinal cord fluid and nerve impulses are being sent in different directions due to my spinal cord being compressed... possibly into my brain covering???? I have no idea... The Mayo clinic is out here and I just found that out.. LOL.. so I guess I can go there for another opinion.