pain med: how much is too much??

melaniem

I went to surgeon yesterday and got the chest tube removed---hallelujah!! i'd had it for 3 weeks. i've been taking vicodan since coming home from hospital, usually one w/tylenol during day and 2 at night so as to sleep better. (i still don't sleep well, just better. oh for those nights when i used to sleep ALL NIGHT LONG!!!) anyway...now that the chest tube is gone i was hoping to be able to handle the pain w/tylenol alone, but was miserable all evening. finally took 1 vicodan w/1 tylenol and still was in a lot of pain. i also had a low-grade fever which this morning is now gone..?? hmmm. the surgeon only gives me enough vicodan for 1 week at a time and now i'm almost out again and honestly, i'm a little embarrased to call and ask for more but last night i was miserable. one more thing is i seen my best friend become addicted to pain killers (not after a major surgery, she just had headaches/anxiety) so i'm really nervous about it.... but yet my back kills me trying to sleep along w/my chest, etc. etc.

the chest tube did NOT hurt coming out, in fact, it was out before i even knew it. and i was SOOOOO scared. :lol:

i hope everyone who reads this has a wonderful day...xoxo

Boy that is great news. I had the chest tubes (2) only 4 days and I thought that was an eternity. Are you using your insentive spirometer? Be sure to! or if you don't have one, every 1-2 hours stop and take about 10 slow deep breaths. That and range of motion of your right arm every few hours is important. Walking is great. If you need pain medicine to do these things, TAKE IT! Don't worry about addiction, your pain post op is real! Can you get a sleeping pill so you get enough rest? You are on the mend now, keep us posted. Donna G

Melanie,

By all means, call your doc....this is what pain meds were made for.....real pain! You need to be able to control the pain so you can get back with your activities of daily living....taken in moderation, and according to direction, pain meds are safe to use without fear of addiction. You need to control that pain, and not let it control you!

Glad the tube's out!!

Mary

Melanie,

Control you pain. Stay a step ahead of it - take the pain meds as directed, even if you don't think you're going to hurt....at least for a week. Once the pain gets hold of you, it's very hard to get it back under control. If you can have a week without major pain, you should be underway for healing... Wean off when things calm down some - when Advil "works" better than the narcotic...

Glad you're rid of the tube and that it didn't hurt!

Becky

Got to keep the pain (which is real) under control so that you can breathe deeply and keep the lung expanded and clear. You won't breathe deeply and cough and keep the lung clear if you're in pain. And don't worry about the addiction. It seems to me that for those of us in real pain we don't become addicted.

Congrats on losing your "tether". Pretty amazing that something that hurt that bad staying in doesn't hurt at all coming out. :)

I also agree. Don't worry about addiction. If you are in pain it creates stress and stress demotes healing. Take a pill. I did the same thing and when I look back I was so hung up on the pill thing and was in pain so much more than I should of been. Take care and feel better.