Another Major Screw Up by Yours Truly....

Fay A.

I should know by now that I shouldn't submit anything written after 11 AM, because by Noon my brain is mush, and I couldn't edit my way out of a "See Spot Run" book.... :oops:

Last night I submitted the following to the Today Show. The last line is a total screw up. I've submitted a correction this morning, but it's probably too late to be any good. So just in case they use it in today's show on Lung Cancer, Mea Culpa...

oMailbag = new Array();mainsectionID="";navsectionID=""; oMailbag.appWidth = 460; oMailbag.BoxStyle = 3053755; oMailbag.appHeader = "Tell us on 'Today'"; oMailbag.appDeck = "Are you or is someone you know addicted to cigarette smoking and trying to quit? If so, “Today” would like to hear your personal struggles with kicking some butts -- whether you still can’t live without a drag or if you were able to break the habit. Fill out the form below and your questions may be answered live on the show this Thursday by smoking cessation experts. "; oMailbag.sTBHead = "Begin here:"; oMailbag.sSubject = "SmokingStories"; oMailbag.aRetLink = new Array("http://www.today.msnbc.com","Click here for more of Today."); oMailbag.sMailTo = "todaystories@nbc.com"; oMailbag.bTown = 1; oMailbag.bPhone = 1; if (window.MailbagWB3) { MailbagWB3(oMailbag); } Tell us on 'Today'

Are you or is someone you know addicted to cigarette smoking and trying to quit? If so, “Today” would like to hear your personal struggles with kicking some butts -- whether you still can’t live without a drag or if you were able to break the habit. Fill out the form below and your questions may be answered live on the show this Thursday by smoking cessation experts.

Begin here:

I did not have a "heavy" smoking habit, but I did rely upon tobacco use as my primary anger management tool. I would grab a cigarette instead of losing my temper with others.Five years ago I was able to stop smoking by using the drug, Zyban, attending a well planned and executed smoking cessation program, and by accepting that while I was learning to function as a nonsmoker I was probably not going to be a nice person, and that there would be those in my life who were going to try to sabotage my efforts to stop smoking. I wasn't a nice person for about 6 weeks. There were those who tried to sabotage my efforts to quit. But I succeeded in staying quit.They say that the three month anniversary after quitting is a "milestone" day. It certainly was for me. I celebrated mine by being diagnosed with Bronchioloalveolar Carcinoma of the Lung (BAC). I was 44 years old, and the primary tumor had been identified as a nothing to be concerned over "coin lesion" 12 years earlier. You don't have to be a long term or heavy smoker to develop Lung Cancer. You don't even have to have been a smoker to develop Lung Cancer. Just ask many of the members of the internet Lung Cancer support group at LCHelp.com. Many of our group have no first or second hand tobacco smoke exposure. I hope that at some point someone will look beyond the smoking stigma and see those of us who are diagnosed with the disease for what we are: Human beings who do not deserve to be treated the same as anyone else who is diagnosed with cancer and not as if we are something nasty on the bottom of Society's shoe.

Your name

Your town/city

Your phone number

Your e-mail address

Your e-mail address and/or phone number will not be published. Leave your name or hometown blank if you do not want it published.

The last line should have read: " I hope that at some point someone will look beyond the smoking stigma and see those of us who are diagnosed with the disease for what we are: Human beings who Deserve to be treated the same as anyone else who is diagnosed with cancer and not as if we are something nasty on the bottom of Society's shoe."

I can't believe I did that. :roll::oops:

Just to clarify.. I believe there are several different ways to get here, including lchelp.org & lchelp.com. Rick had sent out all the different URLs you could use a while ago, but I can't find the email...

Anyway Fay, it coulda been worse. Maybe you will make them at least take a doubletake.... :wink:

Fay,

I am sure that whomever read it, assuming someone did (since the show seemed to be about getting help quitting smoking) understood what you meant. Since the advent of the Internet, email, message boards, we have all gotten a lot better at reading "typo"--it's almost a new language!

Thanks for trying to get their attention. I missed the show, so I don't know what went down.

elaine

Fay,

I.have become reliant on spell check in this computer day and age. Unfortunately, My web tv doesn't have spell check. I too am a late night internet user., and the key board has to be positioned just right to ht the intenended keys...I type in my e-z recliner. Yet another excuse is that I have usually taken an ambian by this time. Oh, and my acrilyc nails too! So...don't beat your self up. You are probably one of the most versed and well written members of this board, I always learn something from your posts. My excuses, well they boil down to mostly a poor typist. Good points! I well try to respond later when I have more time.

Cheryl