Scans :(

SharKats

Had lung, abdomen and brain scans yesterday. Rec'd a phone call first thing this AM from my onc's nurse - they want me in the office ASAP to discuss some "changes" they found in my scan.

Well, I guess all of us here know here that doesn't make for good news. So I'm asking you to keep me in your prayers. I've survived 9 months and that was a surprise to them so maybe that's all the time I was meant to have.

Thanks everone.

Shar

I've survived 9 months and that was a surprise to them so maybe that's all the time I was meant to have.

....and maybe not.

Discussing changes does NOT always mean bad stuff, just a change of plan. C'mon, Shar....breathe.....breathe deeply in and out and work on relaxing....

Crossing my fingers for you as an added measure of luck!

xxoo,

Becky

Shar---Please don't think the worst- (I know easier said than done) --changes may only be minor changes and not what you are thinking---they may just need another plan of action--

when are you going for your appointment? I will be thinking good thoughts for you and hoping for good news---

please let us know when you find out

best wishes

Shar,

I know you are devastated right now and that is unfortunately what this beast does to us, but like others have said, you don't know yet what they mean, so try to be calm ( sheesh, like I can!) but truly, it doesn't do much good to be otherwise, as I for one know.

I wish there was something more I could do or say, but pls know that I care.

love and fortitude

elaine

Thank you so much everyone. My appointment is at 3:00 CST. I'm glad my husband is going with me. My one sister is going to try to sneak off from work and join us. I think she likes to hear what my onc here in NW Houston says so she can run things by my 2nd opinion onc's nurse at Baylor College of Medicine.

You are all so kind - I'm doing my best to think positive thoughts but also prepare for some really bad news. It's a delicate balance. :)

Hugs,

Shar

Well, as we all know, when we have scans and the onc wants to see us ASAP, it's not going to be good news. There are 4 "lesions" in my brain and the tumor on my right lung is growing again.

Next Tuesday I begin my first round of Camptosar and Taxol. They said to plan on about 6 hours. I have to take Depo pills 2 days prior, 1 day prior, 12 hrs then 4 hrs then 1 hr prior to the chemo. Also will take good ole Zofram. I guess after 2 rounds they do scans and if no shrinkage you get to decide whether to continue - but I don't think there's much use in continuting if you haven't had any positive results after 2 rounds. I'll have to go back and check - I know some people that post here have had the 2nd tier small cell chemo. Or if you feel you just can't handle the chemo you can stop - and it evidently goes pretty fast from there.

I am very frightened, sad and totally non-optimistic. I wasn't like this the first time around. I like to think I'm a fighter but maybe I used it all up the first time.

Thanks again for your kind responses.

Sharlene,

It's okay to take a few days to regroup. Every time I hear that there has been a recurrence it's a bit like being kicked in the stomach. It takes a while to adjust to the news.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers for a good response to the treatments

You are a fighter, Sharlene. But even the best of soldiers have to rest between battles.

Fighting right along side you...

Shar, I am so sorry to hear you bad news and I know how devasted you must feel ---but I think once you get over the shock , you will regroup and your fighting spirit will come back ---

Please, see what the onc doc said in his posting--there is no reason why second line chemo cannot do the trick. Please do not give up hope---You have many supporters here to help you through this.

Thank you everyone. I guess like someone said, it takes a few days to regroup. I feel like I went through the radiation for nothing - it sure didn't get rid of the tumor or keep it from beginning to grow again within 2-1/2 months. Hardly worth 5 weeks of radiation treatments.

Joe, did you really mean that - or are you trying to encourage me and make me feel better? I hope you all are right and the fighting spirit and optimism does return because it's certainly not going to do any good to be pessimistic. (I can't spell as I'm sure you've noticed by now).

Oh, Sharlene, it's difficult to know what to say that will help. Truthfully, there probably aren't words to really help right now, so I'll just send you all my good and positive vibes and prayers that things go well for you.

Just as when we grieve, we humans go through emotional stages, and I'm thinking this is one of those stages for you, emotionally speaking, and that you'll move onto another one and another, and maybe a few more before you settle back into the stage that lets you fight this with all pistons firing.

For the time being, maybe just let us and your friends and family do the hoping and praying and positive thinking for you, and when you are ready, just jump right in with both feet!

Di :)