Scans :(

SharKats

Shar, I'm not just trying to make you feel better. Well of course I am trying to make you feel better but...you know what I mean. I saw a patient just Monday who had small cell ca that actually progressed during treatment with carbo/etoposide. We switched over to carbo/taxol about a year ago and he's doing well and kickin' butt. So it definitely happens.

Sharlene, I'm going to join in with Dr. Joe and give you some uplifting good news as well. I met a lady who was a SMALL CELL 8 year cancer survivor. She had undergone chemo 5 or 6 times, and each time it kicked the cancer to the moon. She was in her late 50's and continued to work full time and had a heck of a great attitude regarding her feelings on beating this beast. However, I know your fears are real and very understandable. This is not the greatest news, but it's STILL BEATABLE!

Stay strong my friend, and keep us posted.

Shar, I also hope with all my heart this 2nd round works great. My mom was all clear after first round of chemo and radiation and it showed up on her 3 monthPET scan.(DAMN THE LUCK!!!) She is starting a new treatment. She also has SCLC. It also makes me hopeful for my mom from what Dr. Joe said.(Sorry, hard time calling him Joe, I'm an RT of 13 yrs. and never done that! :lol: ) Maybe I can get over that here! :D

Best wishes and prayers coming your way!

Sharlene - my husband had SCLC limited. He had his six rounds of carboplatin and VP-16, 35 treatments of radiation to the chest, and 15 treatments of PCI. He was in remission. Six months later it came back to his sinus cavity/skull. At that moment, for days, even weeks, I thought, ok, this is it, he's gone now, I need to start thinking about what I'm going to do without him. I did. I was devastated. Now, he's still in treatment for this recurrence, only half way through chemo, almost done with radiation - and the tumor is obviously shrinking, the one CT scan of his chest he had after the first round of chemo shows that his lungs are still "clear" (there's still scar tissue in there, we hope that's all, but it is slowly getting smaller so it must be just scar tissue) - and now all I can think about, very impatiently, is how much fun we are going to have as a family once he gets done with this pesky chemo. I am no longer prematurely starting the mourning process, just impatient to get on with our lives.

Keep the fight strong, and know you can beat this. Because you can. It is only natural to expect the worst when you get bad news, but bad news can always be overcome. Give yourself some time, you'll see.

Take care and God Bless,

Karen

Shar...

Please don't get stuck in pessimism!! There are folks right here on these boards that have sclc extensive and are 3 or more years out from diagnosis!

Listen to Doc Joe and BELIEVE that your own attitude will be an asset to being around long term too! I know it has to be disheartening at the very least, to know you face round two of treatment. But...you made it thru round one...so you'll make it thru this round too. Just stay as positive as you can...and go rent yourself a bunch of funny movies to watch! That should help relax you and keep you laughing....and that's good medicine too! :wink:

Don't give up or give up hope. Deal with all your feelings...but know there is good reason to look ahead positively....and let us help you do it, okay?

Sending all positive thoughts your way for successful treatment. Keep us posted...and know we're here when you need us.

Thank you Karen - that's great news about your husband ! I hope he finishes treatment soon and you can get started on all the family fun you've been planning. They says you should always have something to look forward to - that it keeps you going.

And Addie, thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Encouragement and support - what do cancer patients do without those crucial ingredients to help them through such a daunting and frightening illness as cancer?

PS. Addie - I know you double-posted just so you could show off those 2 gorgeous dogs of yours twice. :wink::P

And Addie, thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Encouragement and support - what do cancer patients do without those crucial ingredients to help them through such a daunting and frightening illness as cancer?

PS. Addie - I know you double-posted just so you could show off those 2 gorgeous dogs of yours twice.

Shar...I'm a big believer in the fact that attitude counts~!! I posted down in Tests about the fact that on my last day of chemo, my onc was sort of doom and gloom with his comments. He totally ruined my mood for days...as I was *celebrating* the end of chemo and feeling good until he started in! :?

We all know we get no guarantees in life. So I don't need my onc or anyone else to remind me...and neither do you...but we also don't need to sabotage ourselves, either, do we? It's hard, with cancer, not to worry sometimes. But KNOWING is always better than not knowing...so now that you know you have mets and a game plan ahead of you....well, you just try your best to face it positively. To believe it will help. And then you go forward being as upbeat and positive as you can...and when you falter in that....well, you come to us. Let us support you as you get your fears out in the open...just as you've done in this thread.

You've got more time to go, Shar. I just know it. And you mention my dogs...my two pound mutts whom I adore....and as much as I want to continue living for my family and close friends....I also want to be around a while longer for my dogs! :) I figure, I adopted them...it's a responsibility...and I want to be here at the end of THEIR lives to make sure they aren't alone when that time comes. So....I'm planning and expecting to keep cancer at bay for a long time cuz my dogs are only 3 and 4! If they live a normal lifetime...I'm gonna need at least 8-10 years and heck, if I'm gonna have 8-10....I may as well go for 20, right? :wink:

Stay strong and positive, Shar. This is just another wrinkle in things...but you'll do fine with tx. Sounds to me like there are some cats and dogs that need you too, eh? :wink: Hang in there!! You've got years more of laps to make....just like I do! :D

Shar-I just read thru all of these POSITIVE posts, I have kept up with you on pm but have to add my 3 cents in. You are a fighter! You just need a few days to recoup and you WILL be able to go on!!!!

I will be at 4 years since diagnosis of extensive sclc this coming Feb!!!!. I have had 1 relapse and am now 15 months from that last chemo!!!

God has a plan for each of us. I have relied on Him to get me thru this and He led me to the right people and Drs to help. I have no idea if cancer will be the cause of my passing or old age or a bus hitting me! DO NOT GIVE up til you are sure you are ready and you have exhausted everything. I know there comes a time --and I think we all know our limits--when medicine does more to hurt than to help.

You are in my prayers and please call.

Love Cindy

Thank you for your beautiful post Cindy. I'm trying to get my head in the right place and making some progress.

Had my first round of chemo - not many side effects - yet.

I can't find the words to tell all of you how much your words of encouragement meant. After being told I looked like a long term survivor then being told 2 mo's later it was back was like being punched in the gut with a baseball bat.

But I know things will turn out the way they were meant to be and in the long run, it's in God's hands.

HUGS!

Shar

Shar,

keep up the good fight, and know you have all of us pulling for you. It ain't easy, but it sure beats the alternative!

I, myself, am waiting on results of a bone scan and have a brain MRI scheduled for Monday....and whatever those results may show, I'm gearing myself up to be in fighting mode....bring it on!!....

Thinking of you and sincerely hoping this round of chemo kicks butt,

Mary