Chinese Herbs and other alt treatments for NSCLC

• 1 month later...

Christina:

I was looking for alternative treatment for my daddy who just diagnosed Lung Cancer, NSCLC, stage IV in June, 2003. And found Dr. Sun's Selected Vegetable Soup.

I found one review paper for Dr. Sun's soup on National Cancer Institution's website, here is the link:

http://www.meb.uni-bonn.de/cancer.gov/C ... 85728.html

I contacted Sun Farmer Corp. which is established by Dr. Sun, and got some material from them. My daddy started to take the soup about twenty days ago, at the main time, he is taking the chemo. He finished his second rounds about 11 days ago. I can hardly tell the effect of the soup now, they told me it usually takes about 3 - 6 month to see the results. But since my daddy is also taking the chemo, it is really hard to say which one is more effective.

Dr. Sun's soup is pretty expensive, about 600/per month. But if you can afford it, it is no harm to just give Chris a try.

The website for Dr. Sun's soup is:

http://www.sunfarmcorp.com

June

This site is NOT a NCI designated site. Look at the address it is from Germany. The site even says that it is not endorsed by NCI. The fact they have copied the NCI logo would be me suspect of this soup. This is my personal opinion - I would not pay this much for soup.

"

Reference citations in some PDQ CAM information summaries may include links to external Web sites that are operated by individuals or organizations for the purpose of marketing or advocating the use of specific treatments or products. These reference citations are included for informational purposes only. Their inclusion should not be viewed as an endorsement of the content of the Web sites, or of any treatment or product, by the PDQ Cancer CAM Editorial Board or NCI."

Sorry, I was in a hurry this morning, so I did search for Sun's soup through google, and paste the web address. The same article you can find at:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/pdq/ca ... ofessional

I also found an abstract in PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

I was hesitated to buy the soup, coz it is very expensive. But my daddy really does not have much choice, besides the chemo, what else can we choose? Even with the chemo, the doctor said he probably only has 12 - 18 month to live.

It looks fairly good. Unfortunately, the information say there are 3 different formulations and like all supplements there is no way to know if you are getting the correct one. Is that one manufacturer you posted the "real" thing.

In any case it probably won't hurt and it seems like there is some evidence that it could help. I just am still a little skeptical about the price and why they don't disclose the ingredients.

Hopefully there will be a trial that is designed well that will answer the question about its effectiveness.

There is a small level of evidence that reishi/shitake/maitake and other mushrooms may help. Astragalus is an herb that may boost the immune system and of course echinea (sp?).

I just posted an article about lycopene (which is found in tomatoes and watermelon) that helps fight prostrate cancer and maybe other cancers.

Isoflavones like genstein from soy are supposed to also help.

In anycase I hope it works for you and whoever tries this.

Thanks for the post ... I'm still not completely convinced considering the cost, but it may be worth it

one thing people need to consider is that

Connecticut Institute for Aging and Cancer, Milford 06460, USA

sponsored one of the trials. I assume that sunfarm and this institute are related, even if the sunfarm website says they are not related

John:

Thanks for your efforts to find others' opion on Sun Soup. I actually read those two articles, but did not save the link.

My daddy is currently on the Chemo and the Soup, he is doing OK. The biggest tumor on his scalp is shrinking by half size, and two small one have gone. But he still got three or four small sites on the skin of his neck. We don't know his lung's condition now, he is going to have his third round of chemo next Wednesday. And after that, he will have CT scan again.

The price for the Sun Soup is:

$650/month + $30 shipping fee (this is for dry soup)

$600/month + $30 shipping fee (this is for the liquid soup)

I was told if I order next time, I can get some discount, though I don't know how much they will give me.

I was struggling for long time to decide if I would buy or not. There are so many alternative treatments, don't know which one to choose. And Sun Soup is extremely expensive.

Finally, I said, "Well, just give him a try!".

I will continue to post my daddy's condition.

It's possible that it will work (the sun soup). It may work based on the ingredients or based on placebo - If your dad thinks it is helping or you convince him that is helping then it may be worth it.

You could always make your own soup with maitake/shitake mushrooms and maybe even add reishi and astragalus powder from the pills found at health stores.

Then add some of the other ingredients listed on the sun soup

Praying it works for you

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Good to see everyone. I am new. My father's lc also new. I come to see you as I try to find info.about Sun's soup. Because in all chinese, I saw that this soup has been under tests of USA's FDA clinical test. Passed first 2 phase, and still undergoing 3rd phase. I wrote a letter to FDA to ask this Sun Farm Corp.'s Selected Vegetables, they said there is no such kind of drug being approved.

600$ is a little too expensive. My father also started to take anther "famous" herbal medicine 3 days ago. Doctor said to him, this medicine could only be effective if my father has a good mood and confident&calm heart. I do believe that. Any information, I would like to share with you from now on. Msn would be better for comunication.