ONE DAY IS DIFFERENT FROM THE NEXT....................

lisaRN

Just stopped by home to pick up some clothes..... ahmed was admitted to the hospital last night ..... he was up all night the night before with severe diarrhea (from Iressa they think) and right sided pain around the level of the right lower lobe.....

called the onc.... "STOP THE IRESSA" he said..... i flipped out.... he said we can restart when the diarrhea subsides.... i am okay now... hopefully that will be soon....

the worst thing was the doc was more concerned about the pain .... sent us for chest CT to rule out pulmonary embolism......

no embolism, THANK GOD.... but he does have a pneumonia and they saw a 4.5 cm cavity in the right lower lobe that is filled with fluid.... they said this was definately not on the CT Scan we had on the 23rd.....

they think it is either an abscess or possibly an infection that started inside of a necrotic tumor in the process of the breakdown.... we saw tons of docs today.... all were impressed with the results from after only 4 weeks of Iressa.... and all were surprised that in spite of how bad the CT Scan from yesterday and the chest xray from today look ....Ahmed doesnt look "too bad".... he is not on O2 but is getting neb treatments....

I'll be back when i can to give an update....

WITH EVERY DIFFICULTY ~ THERE IS RELIEF...................LISA

Be aware that Iressa can induce pneumonia in a small number of cases. This happened to my wife after taking Iressa for 4 weeks. She had to be taken off it permanently because she had full bilateral pneumonia. I hope this is not the case for you all, but I'm glad to see Ahmed was taken off the Iressa temporarily. Best to you both. Don

Thanks for all the support guys..... here is a quick update before i run back up to the hospital.....

ahmed is feeling much, much better.... he is not so breathless when he is talking.... and has been up and around in the hospital..... the diarrhea stopped at 12 noon on friday and they let him start back to Iressa last night.... so that's pretty good only two days off....

also the infectious disease doc came in today and said that from the sputum culture they were able to isolate some gram negative rods....

he thinks we will have the preliminary report tommorrow.... but he said that he looked at it in the micro lab himself and he is guessing it will either be klebsiella or enterobacter.....

this is actually good news..... b/c in spite of the fact that he has been coughing up this horrible muddy looking mucous with a strong odor for about 7-8 weeks now, all of his sputum cultures either came back insufficient or negative ...... so we hope they are finally getting to the source of the problem....

Dear Don,

i had forgotten about the fact that Iressa can cause the pneumonia, thanks for the reminder.......it prompted me to go back to iressa's website and do a little research on the matter....

and THANK GOD they are telling us that they believe that this is NOT the interstitial lung disease that iressa can cause.... they said that this type of bacteria that they see is normally present in the mouth, saliva and GI tract.... and that it may be possible he aspirated some of it a while back..... since he does still have a mass in the right bronchus, this was probably more of a post obstructive pneumonia than anything else....

the infectious disease doc thinks we will come home on Tuesday with a home care IV nurse.... he expects ahmed will remain on IV antibiotics for 3 or 4 weeks....

well back to the hospital...........

thanks again everyone......I will keep you updated as I can.....

Prayers for all.............

WITH EVERY DIFFICULTY ~ THERE IS RELIEF.............LISA :D

Lisa,

I've been signing on all weekend, hoping for updates from you. I'm so very glad to read that Ahmed is feeling/doing better. Please know that I am thinking and praying for you and your family, as are the rest of the WONDERFUL people on this board.

Take care and keep us posted when you find time...