Update on David, and ER experience.

paddy

Hello Friends,

Dave, and I spent the Thursday night in the ER. Dave's Coumadin levels had gone awry and his blood had been found to be dangerously thin . To prevent a bleed from the tumors in the brain, (or elsewhere if he had a fall etc.,) he had to have a plasma transfusion. They gave him two units and then vitamin K to help with the clotting. Blood tests were taken the next day and at about 4.00 yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call to say that we had to get into ER again as the blood had gone back to danger level again. He had to have another transfusion; this time almost double than on the first occasion.

On the first visit we were lucky to get a great triage nurse who knew us, (that's how often we've been in there lately,!) and got David into a bed straight away. Of course the actual transfusion didn't start until 9.50pm. though. They had had some rather bad emergencies that night and things were going slow as a consequence. We were also lucky enough to be given the most terrific nurse, a young man called "Thomas," who was, not only a wonderful technician, but also a friendly, kind and compassionate young man. He cared for us as if we had been his parents, making up a bed for me and generally giving us T.L.C. What a joy it was to be treated so "humanely". I found out later that this young man was not one of the regulars at the hospital but rather from a "Nursing Registry".

The next evening we were not so lucky. We waited in the admittance room for about and hour-and -half and, after being admitted. It was at least 9.50 p.m. before David's transfusion was started. By this time Thomas had come on duty...Thank Goodness! At about 5.30 in the morning when the transfusion was finished, we were shunted by a new nurse into an adjacent "room" / store room, to wait there until they had tested the blood levels at the lab. (Should take half-an-hour, they told us!) Having waited for an hour -and -a -half, I went looking for someone to chase up the lab report. I really do believe that the reports had been in for hours and were just sitting on someones desk, as they appeared as if by magic. Then of course someone had to come and take the IV ect. out and then the Oncologist had to contacted so that we could be discharged. We left there at about 7.45 a.m.!

I might add, that through all this, Dave , (who's poor veins are on the verge of collapsing because he has had so many needles jabbed into him,) laughed and joked with the nurses and kept his spirits up through this ordeal.

Tonight we are planning better things, so I hope the blood behaves itself. Our daughter "Karen", ("Karen and kids"on the board",) is arriving from Michigan. She will be staying a week and we can't wait to see her.

Much love to you all,

Paddy

Paddy,

Thanks for the update...

Nurses like Thomas can make it or break it....I am so glad that he was there for you during all of this.

One thing that keeps coming back to my mind over and over again is this:

I am soooo grateful for the blood that I received. To this day. I know that it is "only" blood, not a heart or a kidney or eyes. But to me, it was a gift of life. I don't know how many blood donors KNOW exactly how un-selfish their altruistic action actually affects the recipients. But I am just so thankful to be holding some unknown #'s blood in my veins.

If there are folks healthy enough to donate, then please contact your blood donation center.

Glad you will be surrounded by family. Rest up and then have fun!

Cindi

Thanks Donna and Cindy,

Cindy, It was remiss of me not to mention that Dave and I were indeed "Thanking God" for the people who give their blood while we were watching the plasma drip into his veins.

I have often thought I would love to give blood but it was refused because I have had Bilharzia/ Schistosamaiasis, (spelling?,) (a "nice" little African bug which can kill you!) In fact, later, when my daughter was married, her husband, ( who was a champion blood donor," was disappointed to find that he was unable to contribute anymore because he had married "someone from Africa". I am not sure if this still applies, perhaps things have changed since then.

So glad to know that you were saved by transfusion too Cindy.

Paddy

My dear Paddy,

What a nightmarish few days for you and David. Thanks for letting us know what you two have been through. I'm so happy to hear that you both got through it ok and that he is home to greet Karen. It's just wonderful when you have nurses like Thomas, isn't it? It just makes everything not feel so bad.

Praying for a good night tonight and every other night.

Love,

Peggy

Hi Paddy,

Oh how I hate those Emergancy Room visits. We sat in the ER one time from 4:00 in the afternoon finally got back to a bed about 9:00 and Fred was admitted upstairs at 3:00 AM. Glad to hear your home, and that your daughter Karen is coming for a visit.

Fred's nurse is from England, and she is also not allowed to donate blood, they say becaue of the Mad Cow Disease. LOL

Rosemary

Dear Paddy and David,

My heart goes out to you. Thank God for nurses like David! Richard and I went through the emergency room experience just a few weeks ago and I do remember the nightmare. Enjoy Karen's visit and you will be in our prayers.

Pam

Sure hope everything will go well for you now. It's so nice that you gave Thomas credit for doing such a wonderful job. Good nurses and technicians can make all the difference in the world. Wishing you smooth sailing for now. I'm sure having Karen coming is just the kind of medicine the doctor ordered.. :wink: Will continue to keep you in my prayers.

sue

Paddy,

I am so glad this ordeal is over for you both for a while...hope for a long, long while. Its great that Karen is coming for a visit. That should help everyone. Thomas sounds like such a nice young man. I am so glad he was there for you through at least part of this bad time. Thinking of both of you.

Nina