SOB short of breath

cindi o'h

I am short of breath. I register 97% on that thingy they put on your finger in the clinic. I am not talking at rest. I am talking about being SOB on exertion.

example:

I was running behind (as usual) last week and I was supposed to pick up my adopted Mom at her house to take her with me. I didn't have time to come home to shower, so I asked her if I could shower at her house and we go from there. Running late and trying to move this old body as fast as I could so that we could get there on time, I found myself really huffing and puffing through the whole thing: the shower, the drying off, the dressing, grabbing up my dirty clothes and stuff and running out the door. It took me quite awhile to find some nice, easy breathing once we got driving. (We were late by 15 minutes)

My adopted Mom didn't say anything at the time. When I talked to her on the telephone tonight, she mentioned to me about being short of breath. I didn't know what she was talking about. :?: She reminded me about the shower incident. I didn't think a thing of it at the time. I am so used to being short of breath. However, after she brought it to my attention, then I did think about it. I notice SOB with stairs here at home, for sure. With sometimes getting up to answer the phone. With putting clothes from the washer to the dryer. With unloading the dishwasher. Sometimes my breathing is more difficult than others. Since the beginning of treatment, it has never been good. Treatment: lots of radiation and concurrent chemo and more chemo to a pretty good sized field. Still radiation changes every 3 months on my CT scans.

I haven't been exercising. I have bad knees and I don't like not being able to walk a block any faster than a snail. (excuses) I don't talk to my doctors about this.

At home, I have learned to move S-L-O-W-L-Y. If I move too fast, I have to sit down right away and recover..

Am I alone on this one....can anyone offer some genuine feedback? (My little friend, Mary, passed away from SCLC last April. She had brain Mets and she didn't want treatment. She was SOB too. But that didn't stop her. Her nieces would come to her house to clean for her and she would go behind them and redo what they had done because it wasn't good enough. I would complain to her that it would take me all day to try to strip just one wall of paper. Our upbringing similar, with each having strict Irish mothers, she says, "Oh, Cindi, just get the lead out of your *ss and get moving!!!" :evil::o:shock::lol::lol: Coming from anyone else, I would have been hurt. From Mary, it is one of the most endearing things that I can remember her saying to me. Reminded me of my Mom... Made me bust up laughing...)

I have pleural and pericardial effusions now. I had a heart attack due to a blockage in an artery. I had a stent there and another one again a couple weeks ago. I think the stent helped a little. But, I am still SOB>...

Am I alone here...Or is this common? Is it my heart, the fluid, cancer back, scar tissue...what?

Thanks. Cindi o'h

Cyndi:

Mom was sob for a few yrs even doing breathing treatments every 4 hrs, it had greatly effected her life, everything she did revolved around those 4 hr breathing treatments. it was pretty bad, she would not come to my house as i have 5 steps up to door, and about a 10 ft walk from driveway, and all that was much more then she could handle.

When she was dx, they started her on prednisone 20mg a day, and since June she has given up the breathing treatments and only carries a inhaler to use as needed which isnt too often. We are aware of the side effects of prednisone, but the quality of her life is so greatly improved that drs think that out wieghs risks of side effects. She does things now and even thru radiation and chemo, that she hasnt done in 5 + yrs. It has been most amazing.

I would check with your pulmonary doc to see if maybe they cant help you in some way.

God Bless

Kim

I also get SOB when trying to do things. I am fine while relaxing tho. I think it goes with the territory. When I had my surgery my dr wanted me in re-hab. I was reluctant to go but once I did I saw a world of difference. Exercise does a lot more then you think. When I complained to him about SOB he said "I think you are out of shape." Do you have access to treadmill? What about the YWCA? Before I'd do anything I would ask your doctor tho. I know I did not help much but I wanted to let you know you are not alone.

I am always SOB, much of mine is caused by low red blood cell counts. I have never quite recovered from the chemo that way. It did a number on my red blood cells. I have gotten so I can tell where my counts are by how hard I breath when I am getting dressed! And of course like Bruce says, some of it is just cause I am so out of shape. Have them check your blood counts and if you are below 12 on the RBC, that could be your problem. They give me weekly Procritt shots for it.

Cindi,

I would suggest you share this with your "medical team". You have a lot of checks in boxes where SOB would be something to prick up the ol' ears over...

That being said:

I have shortness of breath upon exertion. While walking (exercise), sometimes I have to stop and take deep breaths to get the breathing "under control" and get some air deep into my lungs. The shower is another place I lose my breathing ability...I do the shower thing just fine, but normally end up sitting on the toilet to dry off because I'm a little to weak-kneed to stand up and do it. Making the bed is another "breathless" job for me - takes me three times as long to make the bed now as it did "BC" (Before Cancer). Seems that anything that disturbs where my diaphragm is and involves bending can toss me into a shallow breathing spasm where I feel I'm going to asphyxiate.

Be sure to talk to your doctor, though. Breathing is an important thing...

Cindi,

I think physical activity is critical to the well being of someone who has had treatment for lung cancer, not to mention someone who has had a heart attack. Having said that though, I think you should consult with your doctors about the type and rate of increase of physical activity given your medical situation.

I think radiation damages lung tissue and I think the heart attack took a lot out of you, but seems that you should be able to get a lot back with some systematic exercise.

Please open up some talk with your doctors about this--it could make a world of difference.

My situation is a lot different, but I was told that if I exercised like they told me, my lung function would all return after treatment. I did do what they said, and every three months the doctor asks me what's going on with exercise. He says to push myself and I do. I think it made a lot of difference in my recovery and it sure does make my life better now.

Cindy

Cindi,

If you have a pleural effusion, that will DEFINATELY cause you to be short of breath. The fluid puts pressure on the lung and makes it more difficult to breath, especially when you are doing even the simplest of things.

I have had a pleural effusion since diagnosis, some days are worse than others. I had a catheter put in to drain the fluid back in April/May '04 and the fluid has not come back, yet..... but there is still some that we could not drain.

You must keep an eye on these effusions as I am sure your doctor is doing through regular x-rays. Mine progressed so that my entire lung was encased in fluid. Talk about hard to breath!!!!! Try not to do too much at one time, and take it slow. I hope that your breathing gets better soon.

TAnn

Hi there,

After spending the weekend with my mom we noticed that she was getting increasingly short of breath with exertion...My dad finally called the onc today and he had her come right in. She's getting a thorocentisis right now (draining the fluid). I don't understand why this keeps happening (she's had a few) because there isn't cancer in her lungs right now. Her onc said something about her lungs being so compromised from the chemo and the cancer that it's hard to get the fluid off? (This all coming from my dad, it's a like a game of "telephone.") I, along with the others, suggest you give your doc a call. Being short of breath is a scary, exhausting feeling and you don't need to feel that way!

Hope you feel better soon!

Obviously, you are not alone. Funny you should ask. Lucie has been complaining that she gets short of breath if she showers, or dresses, and has to rest before moving on. She saw her pulmonologist last Monday, he prescribed scans and tests and we are going this afternoon to learn the results. Will keep yo posted. Don

Cindi,

I couldn't walk a few steps without stopping to rest and catch my breath due to the plueral and pericardial effusions. I went to see my onc and he hospitalized me right then and there. I had immediate surgery to reduce the pressure on the heart. I was in the hospital 2 weeks. No cancer was found in the fluid, but the doctor assumes it was from the cancer. I am walking over a mile now with no shortness of breath per say, but low blood counts due to chemo really slow me down. You need to talk to your doctor about this. It could cause a heart attack or heart failure.

Cheryl

thanks everyone.

congrats to you and Lucie, Don

Katha thanks. Nothing better than a couple of giggling little girls around...

I WOULD like to borrow that little one that dominated the sleepover though...the sassy bossy little dictator. I would like to take her to all of my medical appt's with me! Everyone has a gift!