I need your opinions- UPDATED

KatieB

"A 5 mm calcific granuloma is seen in lower right lung due to an old inflammation."

This is a CHEST X=RAY report of my brothers...he's never been to this Dr. before. How does this Dr. know this is due to an old imflammation. It this ok? SHould he have a calcific granuloma checked futher?

also, he went in for swelling of the lymphs in the neck.

"....well defined and ranging in size from 1.0 to 3.5 cm in diameters- multiple, homogeneous, solid-like masses anterolateral to the left cartoid artery. Clinical correlation is recommended."

Katie,

I think, and I'm not sure, but I do think that by it's description, that granuloma is benign--a granuloma is what we all here wish we had--and that calcific thing is just another indication of benign--I think. I wouldn't get upset just yet and ask for an explanation from the doctor, but I think what they are talking about can be pretty well viewed on a film and they see the characteristics that make this not worrisome.

The lymph node thing though, I don't know--

Please keep us posted--

Cindy

Katie, the calcified granuloma does not sound worrisome, those are very common xray findings and are benign. The lymph nodes on the other hand are hard to know. I'm assuming this was on CT scan? You can't really see lymph nodes distinctly on an xray. If there is not a good explanation (like confirmed mono) a 3.5 cm cervical lymph node should be biopsied.

The quote in red--This was from the report from a sonogram. (lymphs)

I have told him to go to another doctor and get those lymphs checked further.

I have a tendency to over analyze and over react too.

Any ideas would really be appreciated...thanks everyone.

Enlarged lymph nodes can be caused by lots of things only one of which is cancer. However, 3.5cm is definitely outside of normal limits and demands a diagnosis. If he isn't scheduled for a CT scan he should have one done and unless someone can give you a definite reason for them to be so large, they should be biopsied. I am of course jumping to the conclusion that these are lymph nodes but I'm sure he'd know if he had a 3.5cm zit on his neck. :shock:

Katie,

I must take exception to the statement that calcification is indicative of benign disease. There are exceptions to this. About 25% of Adenocarcinomas present with calcification. One of the reasons my first primary tumor (and recurrent tumors) were not thought to be worrisome for malignancy for such a long time was (according to the various doctors) the presence of calcification in all of them. I hope that your brother will be aggressive in having the problems evaluated and treated. I sincerely hope that there is not a cancer in his lung or elsewhere. But I know from personal experience that just because there is calcification present does not mean that the mass is benign.

Fay you are absolutely right with this statement:

must take exception to the statement that calcification is indicative of benign disease. There are exceptions to this. About 25% of Adenocarcinomas present with calcification.

Presence of calcification alone does not rule out cancer. But a 5mm lesion with calcification is virtually (probably >99%) diagnostic of a benign granuloma. Lung cancers will not generally demonstrate calcification at this size. Not that I don't think a CT scan would be reasonable to do but I would definitely not lose sleep over it, chance of it being cancer is very very very low.

Hello, Joe,

I can speak only for myself. My primary tumor was first identified as a calcified coin lesion, 3mm x 5 mm. I was told that it was nothing and I should not worry about it. So I didn't.

It is not my intent to cause anyone sleepless nights by sharing what I've learned. It is my intent to share what I've learned so that someone else coming here with a 5mm calcified nodule will be aware that this bears close watching with the hopes that it won't be malignant, but if it is then they will be diagnosed early instead of late stage like I was.

And once again, I am very glad you are here for us.

Thanks EVERYONE.. He is getting a ct and then will watch that calcification in his lung every six months. Most importantly at this time is finding out why there are those masses in his lymphs. His doctor put him on an antibiotic and if they are still this size in a week, they will biopsy.

(So, it seems like a guessing game still for that doctor)

I am encouraging him to get the biopsy anyway just to be diligent.

thanks everyone

Sounds like a good plan Katie, hopefully (probably) those nodes are just reactive.

Fay, I'm sorry that your lung nodule turned out to be malignant although I will still say that in the VAST majority of cases those are benign. Here in Minnesota where histoplasmosis (fungal infection) is endemic, I'd guess at least 25% of the population over 50 will have a calcified granuloma show up on CT. This makes it a dilemma trying to decide who to follow with serial CTs although generally we follow them every 6 months for 2 years although many would say that for a 5mm calcified lesion even that is perhaps overkill. Of course then you get into the old risk of causing cancer with too many CT scans versus lives saved by picking up cancers early plus health care costs....

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your prayers and opinions.

I am an excellent researcher...that's what I did at my job, I am an information bloodhound...like many of you who are here.

When these medical issues came up for my brother I searched and searched and came up with my own laymans diagnosis of one or two things it might be. Neither were very good.

Turns out I was right. Usually I love being right, but not this time around.

He does not have lung cancer. But what he has is serious.

I hesitate to post anything here because he has only told me and my mom. I have a big family, so I hope you guys understand.

I am asking for prayers for my brother and my mom. They both are really going to need it in these next days and months ahead.

My mom, it seemed, just went thru this (illness/death/grieving) and it looks like we are going to go thru it again.

Thanks everyone.

(((KATIE)))

I have been sitting here trying to find words to express my emotions.

You and your family have been through so much--and you took what you experienced and learned during your father's illness to help so many others. Although what you have done has helped so many--never in a million years would I wish that you had another such learning process to go through.

I am so very, very sorry, Katie. Please let us all know if there is anything we can do to help.

Melinda