Just started treatments, any advice

Hopeful

Hi, I have never done anything like this before, but I'm so scared that I needed some advice or something, not sure what... My husband of 32 great years has stage 4 nsclc, that has mets into his liver. He had his 1st chemo of Taxol, Carboplatin and Gemzar this past Mon. Then next Mon., he justs gets the Gemzr. Then off the next week for some tests. He is very ill from it, sores in his mouth, which the medicine hasn't helped yet. Very weak and tired. Is it this bad after every treatment, or does it get any easier? I'm afraid he won't be able to withstand it for the whole 6 months they are talking about. (if he doesn't , show any worsening of his tumors) Please anyone with a similar case please give me some advice. God bless you all and a full and speedy recovery.

Dear Hopeful,

I am so very sorry you have the need to be here, yet, I am very glad you choose to join us.

As for your husband's treatments. Everyone is different in this journey.

Some patients get very ill side effects and some of them get worse before they get better. Then there are those that have a few bad days and as treatments go on, they do very well. There is NO one set answer to this question. I for one will hope and pray he will get better as treatments go on. Try not to look to far ahead into the treatment future, as to will he make it to those treatments will he be strong enough. Not a good idea my dear. We here at LCSC try to portray the POSITIVE side of being a Lung Cancer Survivor. Not to say we don't have our down days and our sick days, because we all do or have. But, we offer hope here, only because so many of us have found that "mind over matter, DOES matter"! Positive Attitudes do help in this journey. This is NOT an easy journey at times, but it IS doable. Ask questions, ask lots of question, don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone here will have an answer for you, along with support and warmth.

Please stay with us here, and allow us to walk with you down this road. Your NOT alone!

Best Wishes,

Connie

Hi Hopeful

I have been fighting this cancer for close to 2 years (Nov: 25th will be my 2 year date). Left lung removed Nov: 25th 2002. 8 weeks ago I was so down that I thought it was the end for me. I could not eat and was having trouble breathing. I had refused the Chemo for fear that it would kill me. I had felt good following the lung removal so I just said no. Then I got real sick (8 to 9 weeks ago) and my 7 yeat old granddaughter told me one day that I was not going to be here for Christmas and she could not handle that. So I went to the Chemo doctor and told him what was said. I also told him I would not take the up to 8 hours of being druged up, he had to cut the time down some how. He did just that, he cut it in half (the time) by giving me a 1/5 dose of his drugs. I came through that (6 treatments) without any problems along with radiation (23 treatments). No sickness, nothing bad. I was injected with stuff before the harsh treatments to keep me from getting sick or having any of the other side effects and that worked out just super for me.

Maybe you could ask your doctor for something like that and it might work for you also, I will know on the 12th of Oct: if it worked for me, thats when I see my chemo doctor for the big follow up of my last CT-Scan (taken Oct: 5th 2004)......... It's worth asking I should think.....

I feel 100 percent better now then I did after I lost my left lung, which is an improvement over what I though was feeling good back then.

All of My Prayers and Best Wishes to You and the Family.

Grumpy One Lung in Michigan

Hi Hopeful

I have been fighting this cancer for close to 2 years (Nov: 25th will be my 2 year date). Left lung removed Nov: 25th 2002. 8 weeks ago I was so down that I thought it was the end for me. I could not eat and was having trouble breathing. I had refused the Chemo for fear that it would kill me. I had felt good following the lung removal so I just said no. Then I got real sick (8 to 9 weeks ago) and my 7 yeat old granddaughter told me one day that I was not going to be here for Christmas and she could not handle that. So I went to the Chemo doctor and told him what was said. I also told him I would not take the up to 8 hours of being druged up, he had to cut the time down some how. He did just that, he cut it in half (the time) by giving me a 1/5 dose of his drugs. I came through that (6 treatments) without any problems along with radiation (23 treatments). No sickness, nothing bad. I was injected with stuff before the harsh treatments to keep me from getting sick or having any of the other side effects and that worked out just super for me.

Maybe you could ask your doctor for something like that and it might work for you also, I will know on the 12th of Oct: if it worked for me, thats when I see my chemo doctor for the big follow up of my last CT-Scan (taken Oct: 5th 2004)......... It's worth asking I should think.....

I feel 100 percent better now then I did after I lost my left lung, which is an improvement over what I though was feeling good back then.

All of My Prayers and Best Wishes to You and the Family.

Grumpy One Lung in Michigan

Hi Hopeful,Welcome to our family of survivors & caregivers.As stated above everyone has diff reactions to treatments.I got real sick 2 to 3 days after treatment it lasted a day or so & got better &then I'd get another treatment.Was getting radiation at the same time as well.It can be very diffucult to do but is doable.I hope your husband has easier time of it as you both go on.

Hi Hopeful,

Welcome to the family.

This whole world is a roller coaster -- lots of ups and downs.

Take it one step at a time.

I pray your husband has good luck with his treatments.

If you ask your doctor for premedications for nausea etc before the infusion of chemo, that can help before he feels so rough.

There are other medications to help with the sores in the mouth, too.

Not a single remedy is perfect, however. BUT --some days are better.!!!

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers, always

MaryAnn

Thank you all for your concern. Oh my gosh, that is wonderful, with all y'all are going through to take the time to answer my plea for help is remarkable. Well, my husband is not eating solids yet, but Iam giving him protein drinks, and he is drinking them. Will start solid food tomorrow, as I think the meds. are finally making his mouth and throat feel better. I truly wish each and every one of you a lifelong remission. As our Dr. said there is no cure. I told him that if there was 10 people out of 10 people that didn't make it, my husband would be the FIRST one to recover. Just to show him to stop giving us that negativity. I truly am a positive thinker so much so, that our family thinks I'm a pollyanna. I'll prove them wrong, will all will. Best of care and best wishes to y'all, Joni from Georgia

Hi Joni.

Welcome, and staying positive and hopeful are two very important ingredients in the survival mix. Connie was right - everyone reacts differently, so it's real important to stay in close communication with your doctor like the Grumpy guy says; some subtle suggestions from you and your husband, and some willingness on the doctor's part to listen... and poof!! On the road to remission. Take care.

David P.

Hi Joni.

Welcome....and David is soooo right. Attitude is so important and good communication with the docs. Here's hoping your husband feels much better soon. Stay with us, you will find a wealth of information, support and love.

Love, hugs and prayers,

Nancy B

Hi, Hopeful! The best advice is to remember your name here -- hopeful. It is a rough road, but you have all of us traveling with you. Take advantage of our knowledge and our support. My wife was diagnosed with NSCLC, Stage IV, with bone mets, exactly two years ago. She is still fighting it, but she is living a good life.

The chemo can get better or worse, depending on the individual. It is very important that your husband get plenty of liquids while he is under treatment because he will tend to dehydrate. It is important that he receive good nourishment every day to fight this disease, so I am glad you have been giving him nutrient liquids. We found that small snacks every two hours instead of three big meals was best -- also cut down on the nausea, with the stomach having contents all the time.

Best to you and hubby. Don

Dear Hopeful,

Let me add my welcome to those of others and my hopes and prayers for successful treatment for your husband. As they have said, a positive attitude and a close relationship with the doctor are two NECESSARY ingredients for success in this struggle. I hope the sores are clearing up and that your husband will be on to solid food before long -- it's hard to keep up the strength and will to fight without proper nutrition!

Ellen

Welcome Joni~

Hang in there...the treatment is hard. It may get harder but you'll get through it and hopefully kick the cancer into remission. Keep giving him the protein drinks and push lots and lots of water.

All the best~

Rochelle

Hi Joni and WELCOME!

I can't offer any better advice than you've received above. The treatments can be very hard, but if you or your husband talk to the doctor about his side effects they frequently have solutions to many of the problems caused by chemo.

I'm so glad you found us, and please don't ever be afraid to post. I had never done anything like this either, but after a while, you will feel like we are all family and feel comfortable to come here for support.

Once again, WELCOME, and God Bless You!

Peggy

Welcome Joni,

My husband had a similar start, except for the Gemzar. You'll find lots of people with similarities to your husband around here.

One hint which I hope is helpful is about the protein drinks. My husband was losing lots of weight with his first chemo and if your husband has mouth sores, my guess is that he will have a hard time keeping weight on also. Try to find nutritionally balanced drinks which your husband can tolerate. Like our onc. told us about the protein drinks - that's part of the low carb craze that everyone is using to LOSE weight. Also, look for a cancer cookbook that has helpful suggestions for dealing with all the eating problems which can arise during treatment. PM me if you want to know the name of the one I have.

Best wishes for a gentler but ultimately successful treatment.

Welcome Hopeful,

It's so different for everyone. Hang tuff and you can be a polyanna if

you want. Attitude is everything. And by the way so is hope. I will pray

for you and your family. Good luck and take each day one at a time.