Everyone Who Has Had Their Flu Shot....Please Brag Here

cindi o'h

I was at the heart clinic today to see the cardiologist. Had an echo done and dropped in upstairs at the pulmonologist's office and asked if they could squeeze me in for a flu shot as long as I was there...

"No problem."

I realize that there is a shortage of flu shots this year...could you post your experience with getting your shot?

Thanks to David and Beth for reminding me that I need mine.

Cindi o'h

I am doing a chemo trial, and asked my onc's office if they were giving them. They were, but only to people active in treatment who were at a high risk. Well, that would be me. They were going to wait till my blood counts went back up to give me a shot, but were afraid they would run out by then. My doctor thought I could handle it. My arm is black and blue. I had to stay home cause I ached to the bone, like I had the flu. Today I am just fine. Glad it is over with.

Cheryl

Went to see the stomach doctor today about my anemia problem. He happened to be in same building as my PCP. When I saw PCP 3 weeks ago, after getting out of hospital, he told me the shots would be available after Oct 1 and I could drop in no appt needed. That is what I decided to do today. Receptionist told me they were for high risk people. I told her I was and she wrote down ...Risk = Lungs. Have a seat and the nurse will be with you shortly. Well 30 minutes later nurse calls my name, I go to window and get a chance to laugh. She tells me she is sorry but she can't give me the shot because they are for high risk only and I am not high risk. :shock:

Now you know me, I had to come back with something good so I said "well maybe I mis-understood the surgeon when he said he removed my left lung." :)

She said my chart didn't say that anywhere but that she believed me. I got my shot and went home.

None of my doctors (and I have plenty of them) had the vaccine-either they hadn't gotten it yet or were out. I called my friend Jackie, she is the medical assistant at my dermatologists office ( I get alot of skin cancers too). They order it for the staff but there were several that didn't want the shot - I went in yesterday and got it. Arm is alittle sore today but other than that - doing just fine. Boy, we do have to get creative don't we?

I was scheduled to get mine on 10/22 through a program at work.....which they announced they were cancelling yesterday. My mom's office cancelled their program as well. I called my family doc -- no shots available and no idea whether they will be getting any.....same thing w/ my husband's doc. Finally called my pulminologist at University of PA and they are scheduled to get them 10/25 -- and only giving out shots the morning of 10/26 and 10/28. I made the earliest appt. possible on the 26th for fear that they would run out!!!

This is crazy!

Everyone here says they will have the vaccine ..maybe...by the end of October. I put myself on the waiting list at the pcp's office, the drug store and plan to ask the oncologist in two weeks if I can get one there...surely one of them will have it for me.

Nina

I asked my oncologist if he thought a flu shot was a good idea the first time I

met with him ~ had one that day, before I began chemo. Now when I read the material that goes with chemo it suggests we avoid people who haven't (had a flu shot) especially when our immune system deteriorates. Is this right?

I read the material that goes with chemo it suggests we avoid people who haven't (had a flu shot) especially when our immune system deteriorates. Is this right?

Yes, this is correct. One of the things I did last year while undergoing chemo (and for the rest of the cold/flu season earlier this year) was to wear a medical face mask when I had to go out in public. These are not the same kinds of masks you wear when sanding or painting or working with fiberglass, but rather specific masks used by people who have active TB or have received recent bone marrow transplants. I know I looked funny. But I didn't catch anywhere near the respiratory infections that others around me caught. I had to use the supplemental oxygen at times because these little masks are a bit hard to breathe through with my single lung. But it was well worth the aggravation of "...suiting up..." to be able to do the things I wanted to do and not be ill as a result.

I was in a large department store one day and a young man was walking with his friends. As we passed one another he told his friends, "Man, this looks like a scene from "Outbreak"!" I laughed. :wink: