The bad penny turns up again.....

mike_s

I got an email from an old friend in this group, and it reminded me that I have not been on in years. Since I got massive support from all of the people here when I was sick this made me feel very, very guilty.

I have updated my signature to indicate that I am still NED.

My wife Naphalai and I are still happily married(7 years now), and my company is doing great. I moved to Vancouver WA from Portland OR to be closer to my work. We plan on retiring to Thailand in a few years.

Even in the NSCLC community, miracles do happen; I am one of them. I am very grateful to everyone here for supporting me through what was one of the roughest periods in my life.

Be well.

Best Regards,

Michael and Naphalai

Thanks for the post Mike. I didn't join until the end of 2008, so came after your time. I am from Medford (used to live in PDX). I am 3B also, and love to hear survival stories. My treatment was slightly different in that I started with Cisplatin/Etoposide, but couldn't tolerate it so ended with Carbo/Taxol. I'm impressed your onc did additional treatment. The only additional treatment I had was a clinical trial in Seattle. Thanks again for taking the time to stop by, and I hope you will stop by again one of these days.

Thanks for the post Mike. I didn't join until the end of 2008, so came after your time. I am from Medford (used to live in PDX). I am 3B also, and love to hear survival stories. My treatment was slightly different in that I started with Cisplatin/Etoposide, but couldn't tolerate it so ended with Carbo/Taxol. I'm impressed your onc did additional treatment. The only additional treatment I had was a clinical trial in Seattle. Thanks again for taking the time to stop by, and I hope you will stop by again one of these days.

I was very lucky that I was in very good physical shape(martial arts) when I was diagnosed. My doctor told me that the treatment she was about to give me would kill 60% of her patients. I can understand very well how you could not tolerate it. I almost could not.

I asked her why she was giving me the second round of Chemo since I was NED, and her response was "LC is sneaky". I cannot fault her judgement.

I will try to stop by occasionally to say hi. You have already beat the odds. Good Luck continuing to beat them.

Best Regards,

mds

Lung cancer is indeed sneaky! You had a smart oncologist. I hope I never need it, but I will make a note of her name.

I went to look up Dr. Ross for my 10 year anniversary, and found that she is now working for the Mayo Clinic. I am still a fan of Providence, though. They have a new cancer wing too!

Let us hope neither of us ever need it. :D

Best Regards,

mds

I've often wondered where you've been! I always think of you with the pictures of the tigers and the Breathe Deep shirt...you and Ernie were the very first to wear them way back then.

That business with the tigers was not my brightest moment. Did I tell you that while I was petting them I had an epiphany? "This isn't the west. There is no-one in a tower with a rifle to take this monster out if he decides to eat me, and worse all of the attendants are Buddhists who would no doubt feel very bad, but believe it was karma."

I was just so sure I was going to die that I felt I had to rush to do a bunch of things that I did not want to miss. I am a little more relaxed now. I do still have the shirt, though.

Do you know that all of our 5K fundraising events are called "Breathe Deep" now? We were the pioneers.
No I did not. Very, very cool.
I've missed seeing your posts. So incredibly happy to read that you are doing well, still married and successful.
I will try to stop by more. Frances Bean looked me up on Facebook and after talking with her, I felt bad I had not stopped by.
You're always welcome here old friend,
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

mike_s