This is the stuff my dad is on.......

klooty

Okay.. First off, my dad hasn't had a bowel movement for sometime so he is on some meds to cure that. Such as motilium, lactulose and senokot. He is also on ANCEF to treat some infection he may have? He is also on a OXESE TURBUHALER which he uses two times a day. He is also on a few meds that help control some types of seizures such as NEURONTIN which he takes 600 mg three times a day. He is also taking seax and was supposed to be on ativan (but my mom put that on hold). These are both benzodiazepines which are used for anti-anxiety and seizures. BOTH OF WHICH I DON'T THINK MY DAD HAS!!! And then he is on the dilaudid which is for the pain... He is receiving 2.6 mg/hr!!! I find that extremely high when the usual starting dose is 1-2 mg every 4 to 6 hours as necessary for pain control. Does anyone have any information about these drugs and/or what mixing them may do.... I've done some research and know what they are all used for and some possible symptoms of overdosing and some side effects. We go to London tomorrow with a list of everything he is on... Hopefully they'll notice something....

I can't address the specific meds you list, but I do feel that an advocate for the patient has to stay on top of the drug list. Question every med -- what it is for and how much and why that dosage, etc. It is not uncommon for a cancer patient to be on a lot of meds. What we do is put the list on computer, keep it updated, and bring a new copy every time we go to any doctor. If it is the onc or whoever prescribed the drug, we go over it and ask questions. Now that my wife has completed her treatments, we have backed off a lot of stuff, with the knowledge of the onc. I find that a lot of doctors prescribe but don't unprescribe, so it takes diligence on the part of the caregiver to see that this happens with time. You want the pain or other side effect to be taken care of, but you don't want your dad to be taking something that isn't helping or isn't helping anymore. Good luck. Don