NEW TO BOARD MOM HAS SCLC

:( I'M NEW TO THIS BOARD. HELLO EVERYONE MY NAME IS CHARMAINE AND I'M FROM LOUISIANA. WE FOUND OUT IN APRIL MY MOM HAS EXTENSIVE SCLC. THEY GIVE HER 11 MONTHS WITH CHEMO AND THEY GAVE HER 4 MONTHS WITHOUT CHEMO. WELL SHE CHOSE TO DO CHEMO. WELL 3 WEEKS AGO WE FOUND OUT SHE HAS 4 TUMORS ON THE BRAIN AND IT IS ALL OVER IN HER BONES. THIS IS SO SCAREY MY MOM IS 58 YRS. OLD. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I CAN EXPECT? THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. SINCE WE FOUND OUT IN APRIL IT HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT BAD NEWS. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS AND SURVIVED? THE DR. TOLD US SHE WILL NEVER BE IN REMISSION. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN. MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES

I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish you'd come here in April but glad you're here now.

In my opinion, a healthy 58 year old woman, even with mets to bone and brain, can fight this. You might want to find another doctor or at least get another opinion. I am disappointed that they didn't keep a close enough eye on her to not realize the cancer had spread until recently.

Browse this board and read what others have said, you will find out lots through other's experience.

Take care,

Karen C.

Im sorry to hear your news, as I am in the same boat, my mother is 60 yrs old and we just found out in late November she has SCLC extensive stage. She has had radiation and now is going through chemo, it hurts like hell to see my Mom suffer and be in pain, she has mets to the spine with tumors on Lumbar 1 through 5, I can not give much advice, as this is new to me as well, and they only gave my mom 10-11 months, but that is case scenerio, and I tend to think my Mom will beat those odds, and you need to as well, if you ever need someone to talk to, please don't hesitate to contact me via here or on Yahoo, my ID is BethAnn332002 or my email is bethanncarper@yahoo.com.

God Bless Your Mom and your Family, love and prayers to you all.

Beth Ann

Guest cbysea1

Hi there,

I am also from Louisiana.I live on the Gulf of Mexico.

I have the limited SCLC.I was told I had 3 to 4 months by my lung doctor , 1 or 2 years by my radiologist and my oncologist said he has had some SC patients live for 4 or more years.

A lady from ALCASE called me to see if I was doing alright(phonebuddies).

She has 14 years remission from her SCLC.

Now its stats that have made me so depressed and forlorn.

Try to see your Mom as your Mom not a statistic.

Doctors can be very wrong about the time we have left.

I know its hard but we have to "Keep living in Today".

God Bless you and your Mother.

Cheryl_Child of God

I'm so sorry to hear about your mama. I'm from La. also New Orleans. I now live in Alabama on the gulf in the home of Forrest Gump Bayou La Batre. I lost my dear little mama last month. I know exactly how you feel. My mama made it 19 months. A good 19 months too. Just the last few weeks she went down and down fast. Her chemo worked, shrunk the cancer, we got even a short remission. Mama's chemo always made her feel better. I can often remember her saying between chemo breaks I'm ready for my chemo.

As a family we decided to LIVE with mama while she was alive. We had a big family meeting the day of diagnosis. I remember it so well. Daddy told us kids right now mama is alive. We will not cry or grieve, we will live life with her celebrate live with her as a fanily, and when she is gone then we will grieve as a family.

Oh the memories we made during that 19 months. My mama was the baby of her family and the only one left alive she only had one brother. He had 12 children. I threw a big reunion with all mama's brothers children their grands and great grands there was 154 of us! We cooked up a storm gumbo, shrimp and spaghetti, crawfish etc. I had a friend that does kerokee(I can't spell so please forgive me) He came with his equipment, we sung, I had a photographer, gosh what fun. I remember passing the mike around for each of my cousins and brothers and sister to tell stories about mama. One of the girls sung the sung daddys hands and we all ended up in tears thinking of papa and Uncle Sonny. All us girls in the family did a cruise to nowhere with mama. We got a limousine one night and took mama out, we built us a bondfire of memories to get us through the emotional winters we now face.

Hang tuff, make memories, and know we are all here and understand how you feel. Hugs Lillie