Regular Exercise Improves Q of L with Lung Cancer

Barb73

Comment: When I saw this, I had to smile. Here Bill and I were complaining about the recent and frequent snowfalls. We had to get out there and shovel.

Here is an article about exercise and lung cancer. What could be more relevant for those who are able?

http://lungcancer.about.com/b/2009/02/0 ... cancer.htm

ARTICLE:

. . . . . . . . .

“Go outside and play.” It’s not just a recent fad – the concept that exercise is good for us, and the cliché that “mother knows best” applies even after a diagnosis of lung cancer.

A new study now joins older studies, suggesting that even moderate amounts of exercise can improve the quality of daily life for those living with lung cancer. And not just quality of life. Those prior studies found that exercise:

Decreases fatigue in those living with cancer

May improve survival with lung cancer, and

Has a preventative role against lung cancer for smokers, ex-smokers, and non-smokers alike

That said, I understand that exercise is not easy when faced with the symptoms of lung cancer and the side effects of treatment. Thankfully, these studies were not looking at the exercise equivalent of training for a marathon. Even light gardening a few times a week can be beneficial.

Learn more about the role of exercise in living with lung cancer and prevention, and tips for getting started:

The Role of Exercise in Treating and Preventing Lung Cancer

And, for further ideas on exercising with shortness of breath, our About.com Guide to COPD has some excellent tips:

Tips for Staying Safe During Exercise

. . . . . . . . .

(About.com: Lung Cancer, Article by Lynne Eldridge, MD, February 5, 2009)

Disclaimer:

The information contained in these articles may or may not be in agreement with my own opinions. They are not being posted with the intention of being medical advice of any kind.