How to be a smart patient (!)

SDianneB

Wouldn't you know it. I'm strolling around in Walgreen's while at lunch, and see this week's U.S. News & World Report (Nov. 8, 2004 issue) -- the cover story: How to be a smart patient: A complete guide to getting teh very best medical care." Wow!

I haven't read it yet, so don't know whether to recommend it, but thought I'd pass it along in case any of you are interested. You may be able to find it on their website too.

Di

Well, I read it last night and it wasn't such a big deal after all -- at least not in my opinion.

I didn't see anything in the article that hasn't already been discussed here -- at least once. It talks about a mentor, where we've discussed patient advocate - a little different, but basically just having reliable people to be with you.

I almost fell over when I read a quote from a person diagnosed with lung cancer earlier this year who said all she got from her oncologist was "gloom and doom." Been there, done that!

It was good info though, and of the helpful variety for someone just entering the vast area of confusion that is known as health care.

Di