Whole brain radiation question

SBeth

Bill completed 14 rounds of wbr last Tuesday and felt relatively good until this past Thursday. He has slipped into a pattern of sleeping 16 to 20 hours per day and barely eating anything. As of Tuesday he was no longer taking the Decadron, so the sudden lack of appetite is pretty understandable and I'm really not too concerned about the fatigue and glad to see him getting so much sleep....BUT....he cannot get warm. His feet and his hands feel like ice all the time. I've tried electric blankets, heating pads, extra covers; just about anything I can think of to give him warmth, with no luck. He begins new chemo (Gemzar) today and will not see his oncologist until next Monday. Can anyone tell me if this cold feeling and especially the ice cold feet and hands are a side effect of the WBR?

Thanks for any input.

I'm not a Dr. Maybe Dr Joe can answer. Here is a few guesses.

The cold feet can be caused by poor circulation. Maybe neuropathy from the chemo?

You could ask about his thyroid. A symptom of hypothryroidism is low body temp

What is his temperature. It is low? or normal?

Good luck

I also just finished with 10 treatments of wbr. Extreme fatigue is one of the side effects and it also hit me after treatment. I have not experienced the problem of always being cold. I would definately talk to the doctor about it. They may need to check him out!

TAnn

Thank you John and TAnn for the responses. I just spoke with Bill, he's at the cancer center for his chemotherapy. It looks like the cold extremities was due to poor circulation as his blood pressure was extremely low, possibly due to dehydration from not eating. He received fluids all morning and they are now going to go ahead with the Gemzar.

TAnn...I know that everyone is different, but how long did the severe fatigue last after treatment was complete? Or are you still very tired? I think that throughout this whole ordeal, the fatigue of this past week has been the hardest part for Bill, he is so frustrated at how easily he tires. I'm just curious about how long it may last, but as I said, I know that everybody is different and reacts differently.

Thanks again. Love and prayers,

Beth,

I had my last treatment of Oct. 15th. I am still amazed at how tired I am. Some days are better than others. Also my ears are ringing all the time and that gets me kinda frustrated. I've been told that the fatigue can take a couple of months before you start to feel better.

Hope this helps,

TAnn

Beth,

Steve was extremely fatigued during and after WBR, and it continued probably three months after. It is a bit hard to separate tho' because he started chemo again after WBR. Steve has fairly severe numbing, particularly of both feet and three fingers of his left hand due to peripheral neuropathy from the chemo. Tell Bill to hang in there. The fatigue does eventually get better.