? Blood in Urine

Jennifer D

Question:

My dad is currently ill (nausea, vomitting, generally unwell) for the last week. He is Stage 4, met to brain, lung cancer (obviously), met to adernal gland. Anyway, he is on Iressa. He had generally had the Iressa Rash, diareah for a month.

Now, he has been throwing up all week. Went to the Emergency Room. Guess they found blood in the urine. Emer. Room doctor thought it might be the Iressa? BUT I looked everywhere and Iressa doesn't seem to have that symptom. They took a cat scan of his Kidney to look for kidney stones, but found none. They released him and sent him home.

Idiot doctors at U of Chicago, said to go home and if you are still unwell by Wds to go see your main doctor. NO idea why the blood is there or why he is ill. Great help they are, 8 hours later. Great timing.. I guess what can you expect from doctors who are stuck working on the holiday.

Anyone else have this happen???? Got any ideas?

Thanks bunches, Merry Christmas.

Have no faith on my dad's doctor, so I would appreciate any ideas so I can quiz him. I REALLY HATE CHICAGO! (my personal oppinion.)

Jennifer,

Sorry I don't have any answers, but if there was ever a need for a strong advocate, this sounds like the time. When Steve wasn't getting the help he needed, I kept talking to people and finally got someone to listen - the nurse who had known us for years. She talked to the doc and things got done! Nurses can be powerful (thank goodness for all you nurses out there!)

Sorry to hear of these problems over the holidays....and yes, docs can be frustrating sometimes. I dont know much about Iressa, or any of the symptoms, but blood needs to be analyzed, I would think. Maybe you can see another doc. at first opportunity? A second opinion like thing...never hurts. Might be more savvy doc too....just a suggestion,...Rich B.

Jennifer,

Enlarged prostate or prostitis can cause blood in the urine, as well as if he is very dehydrated, the urine will look like blood or heart troubles may cause it. I had a patient with the same problem, in his eighties and it was heart related. It seemed to look better when he drank more water. I also took care of a heart patient and thought he had a urinary infection, but he was very dehydrated and the doctor said that caused the urine to look almost bloody. My friend had blood in the urine and he had prostitis. The urologist said blood could either be caused by kidney stones or prostate cancer. He never passed any stone that he knows of and the problem cleared up with antibiotics and pain medication. He is fine now. My Dad died of prostate cancer and he had a little bleeding at the end. My friend had chemo and radiation for lung cancer and he didn't drink much water. His urine was very dark. I guess there may be many causes.

Sharon