Eppie is back, hide the cat

eppie

THis is Eppie,

I believe I used to post on this board 5 years ago when FIL had lung cancer and I found much solace and kind treatment fom the sweet souls here.

Sadly enough, I have need of the positive energy and useful information from cyber friends. So I am back. My 64 y.o. dad in Baytown, Texas has nsclc stage iiib t4n2-3 M1. Onc. says were going in with chemo only. HE is calling this a treatable disease. That is a bit different from what we heard in 1998 about lung cancer. I am praying he is correct.

so on Mon. he is getting his catheter lines and the sand paper treament to patch the deflated potion of his lung caused by the pleural effusion. Then it is on to 2 times a week chemo treatments: carboplatin + whatever other concoction thrown in for good measure. Radiation tx will be addded if the radiologist thinks it will be be effective.

I live in Rhode Island and will be flying our on Thursday for the weekend. WE'll have to see how this changes all of our lives. I am grateful to the positive energy of the onc. before we met him we thought all was lost.

much love and cyber hugs to all on this message board,

Eppie

Just knowing there are fine folks like you, Don, living nearby who have seen this disease up close and know what the road looks like is plenty. maybe you can gide me as to whic forum/thread of this messsage board is best suited for finding out what twice a week chemo of carboplatin actaually is like and how it affects a person. I am sure worried how my Dad is gonna do on it. I guess I will know more once we're doing it next week.

eppie

Since your dad has NSCLC, that is probably the best forum to pose your questions about his treatment. Also, there is "Ask the Experts" if you would like a professional answer. I am not familiar with the particular chemo your dad is taking, so I can't personally advise you on that. Maybe someone else can comment. Don

but then again I am a kitty magnet right now. First one cat showed up nd we adopted it. He's great and we love our Jack the River Cat. It's his wife and three kids that are a pain. And them someone dumped a kitten too small to be away from it's mama which we're babysitting until my MIL gets back from vacation. She's adopting that one. NO more cats or cancer for Eppie, Please.

The tiny kitty passed away in my hands today....it really needed more that baby formula...I never saw it groom itself. oh well...

My dad is doing better. He came out of surgery to patch the lung where it deflated....The talc procedure is bound to be extremely painful. That much is expected. I am flying down to Texas on Thursday but praying that hurricane goes some where other than Houston. NO offense but New Orleans is pretty much empty and trashed......that is not even funny but I do not relish the thought of evacuating someone with sandpaper in their lungs.

I will just hope for the best. Power to all fighting the beast. Prayers to defeat the fears caused by pain and worry....there is beauty in this world.

Eppie

Hi Eppie - I read your post and am sorry about your Dad. I just received news last week that my 66 yo Mom has SCLC - extended w/ mets to Brain. (OK I am a newbie here - not sure if I said that right.

I am also in RI but Mom is in upstate NY so I know how helpless you must feel being so far away. The bad news is I am 3 hours away - the good news is I am only 3 hours away and not a plane ride.

Good luck in keeping your hopes up - sounds like your Dad is ready to Rock and Roll.

Barbara

Mom and Dada asked that I not come. They are evacuating and want me to stay where I am. They and other family members are all staying at my sister's house in Spring Texas. Baytown is being evacuated. Dad is being discharged from the hospital early tomorrow with pain meds. His tubes are being pulled and his onc called me personally to say his chemo will start Sat in best case scenario and Mon. in another case. I am terribly upset and worried. My sister's house just had the throw up visus go through. She has three little kids under age 7. bad business.

Prayers for all on this message board and peace for all.