Lisinopril (medicine for hypertension) as adjunct therapy?

Surveyor

I am currently receiving treatment from a brilliant radiation oncologist. I’ve been having some minor problems with the radiation irritating my intestines while trying to get at some cancerous areas around my left adrenal gland. He recently prescribed Lisinopril.

What I’ve found out about Lisinopril is:

Following establishment of its efficacy in hypertension and congestive heart failure, the ACE inhibitor lisinopril has now been shown to reduce mortality and cardiovascular morbidity in patients with myocardial infarction when administered as early treatment.

ACE Inhibitors - Why They Work: We all have angiotensin one in our systems. Angiotensin one is converted into angiotensin II by an enzyme in your body called ACE (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme). ACE is what we block with ACE inhibitors - blocking it prevents angiotensin I from converting into angiotensin II.

Reducing angiotensin II lets our blood vessels relax and expand. This lowers blood pressure, which makes the heart's job a lot easier.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medical ... wsid=11478 seems to indicate that it may prevent & help fight lung cancer.

My blood pressure is in the normal range. Interestingly, it was getting on the high side about a year before my diagnosis of NSCLC – (wish I would have pursued this symptom – maybe I would have caught the cancer before it reached stage IV). My doctor thinks this medicine is great. He said he even takes it because it gets more blood to the organs and areas needing healing.

I would appreciate any thoughts about this medicine or other ACE inhibitors.