breatheDEEP goes global - Roadtrip report #5

mike_s

Back to Bangkok from the Tiger Temple in Kanchanburi

pictures at www.jaggedweb.com

After playing with the Tigers, it was time to return to Bangkok. On the way out Napha and her sister wanted to pray at the temple that is set up near the entrance. Note that even though tourists are allowed to visit, and are a major revenue source for the temple, this really is a working temple where Thais come to pray every day. Note the position of the feet. Noone is supposed to ever point their feet at a monk, or image of Buddha. Actually you aren't supposed to point your feet at anyone.

An interesting offshoot of this is that if you drop money, do not step on it to keep it from being blown away. Images of the King are on the money, and the Thais do not like you stepping on him.

As you can see from the next picture, Thais don't mind a bit of color on their busses. I want to know how the man driving the bus sees anything.

We got hungry on the way back, and so Napha asked if we could have dinner at a Karaoke Bar. It was an open air resteraunt, with a live band. The reason she asked is that in general, the person of higher status or seniority pays. As a rule, in Thailand, that is you, the "rich" American. Everyone had been so nice to me, that I really did not have a problem with this.

The Karaoke was pretty interesting, the band was very good, the food was wonderful, and really really well presented. Every dish was pretty, as well as Tasty. My picture of the band does not do them justice the front ladies were very pretty and enthisiastic.

What a suprise for me when dinner for 5 turned into dinner for 20. Oooops. I didn't have enough cash with me so VISA to the rescue. Fortunately for me, This is THAILAND! Dinner for 20, including two bottles of whiskey and a LOT of beer cost about $160.00. I have spent more than that on dinner for two at a nice resort in the US.

Regards from the Road,

mike_s

pictures at www.jaggedweb.com

Hey Mike,

Thanks for sharing your worldtrip, I've really enjoyed the pictures!

In this recent series, the food did look wonderful, but I'm not sure I've ever had a pair of eyes on my plate :D . Don't get me wrong, I love fish, but prefer it filleted.

What a fantastic documentary you have provided. Thanks again for letting us all enjoy it! I hope the rest of your trip is as eventful and please keep the pictures coming!

Hey Mike,

Thanks for sharing your worldtrip, I've really enjoyed the pictures!

Thank you so much for saying so. I am terribly, terribly worried that I am annoying people in the group who are sick, with stories of me going out and having fun.

In this recent series, the food did look wonderful, but I'm not sure I've ever had a pair of eyes on my plate :D . Don't get me wrong, I love fish, but prefer it filleted.

I am not a good photographer. I have a very good camera, but this was the first time I ever took the camera off auto, so I was trying a bunch of things. I read the manual for my camera on the plane. My pictures of the chicken and pork dishes didnt come out so well, or I would have posted them. Rest assured that there was plenty of food without eyes, and if you were there you would not have walked away hungry..... or sober.

What a fantastic documentary you have provided. Thanks again for letting us all enjoy it! I hope the rest of your trip is as eventful and please keep the pictures coming!

Thank you once again. I would like to once again say why I am doing this. Look at my .signature. I have(had?) stage IIIB, and there is only one stage worse. Do not ever, ever give up. Miracles do happen, and maybe NED is waiting around the corner for you, after your next change in treatment. You will never know unless you tough it out through your current treatment, and talk to your docs.

Chok Dee(Good luck) and Regards from the Road,

mike_s

PS - Bigtime thanks to ConnieB who sent me some very needed words of encouragement at VERY critical times, well before I got my first clear scan.

I am enjoyig reading about Mike's travels! What fun and it is even better is that he beat the beast! Standing close to tigers is small stuff compared to cancer treatment.....ok prolly not really but impressive all the same.

Much love,

Eppie