Dehydration

Heather J

Has anyone out there had any dealings with dehydration? My Mom has had a couple bouts here in the last couple of weeks. The doctors indicate that this is a normal reaction to the chemo. I don't doubt that I was just wondering if anyone has been through this and if there's any way to try and combat it. Mom has always been a little thing ( 4'10, 106lbs) so I assume that with the ongoing chemo she would eventually require something more. Her blood work is always excellent, we just end up a little dehydrated. I just wonder if there could be something more we could do. She tries to drink as many fluids as she can but she does not like anything that is sweet nor does she like anything that has a milk consistency. Basically she's left with diet soda and water. She likes water but it can do a number on her stomach. It seems that we can tell when she's getting dehydrated. She tends to be very cold and much more tired than normal. Of course after we go to the Onc clinic they give her a liter of fluids and she bounces back wonderfully. Just thought I'd throw this out and see if anyone has any experiences. Thanks! :lol:

Is mom a diabetic? I don't know the reason why, but I remember the nurse telling me that because dad (pancreatic cancer) was diabetic he had the tendancy to dehydrate much easier and faster. He constantly had a drink of Iced Tea or water. If mama is NOT diabetic scatch that...does she have diarrhea? vomiting? and how much water is she drinking per day? I've read a cpl of times that when on chemo especiallly, that the pt should be drinking 64oz of water per day whether they are thirsty or not...I don't know if any of this helps just thought I'd throw it out there. Also watch the drinks with caffine they tend to dehydrate a patient

One other thought that may help is I think its pedisure that makes a popsycle that mama's give their children when they are sick but you can check on that and don't be afraid to give her some pedisure to drink. Hugs Lillie

Hi Heather,

I experienced dehydration after I finished my surgery. I developed a yeast infection in my mouth which put me into total fatigue for 3 weeks. Now I can laugh about it but at the time I was so tired I could hardly use the TV remote. Our insurance changed during this time and the primary care doctor didn't identify it, yet all my nurse friends kept telling me I was dehydrated. My oncologist saw me and said right away what the problem was. I was on antibiotics for 3 weeks before it subsided. My oncologist always asks me at my checkups, "Are you drinking your 8 glasses of water daily"?

So, try to keep as much fluid in her as possible. I found watermelon, cantalope, grapes and other fruits helped. You caregivers are special people so remember our hope is in the Lord.

Bud