Questions?????

Botley

Hi,

We are pretty new to the board but have posted a few times and are very thankful to have a place to chat/vent/question. Mom has Limited Stage SCLC and has finished her chemo of 6 cycles of treatment - (3 days every 21 days) etoposide & carboplatin. The next phase - we have been told is radiation 6 weeks 5x a week depending on her tests. Obviously, we are very relieved that this first phase is over. Tomorrow we are seeing her Dr. and she had a CT Scan today but I have also requested that she have a pet scan. From the group's experience what other tests should I request tomorrow as we want to be aggressive and not take the "wait and see route." Bone Scan, another MRI??? Thanks for any and all advice.

Take Care,

Botley

Botely, sounds like they are following what I have gone through as far as treatments and I feel my Doc. has been pretty aggressive. As far as tests go my big tests were not performed until a month after my radiation. I will have a PET scan in about 4 weeks but really had to grill my doc several times to get him to agree to perform one. THe said the PET Scan will show the bones also so no need for a bone scan. To my knowledge I have never had a MRI, only CT Scans. Tell your mom Congrats! on making it through the chemo phase and don't ever stop fighting. My prayers will be with you.

David C

Guest canuckwebgrrl

My step-dad has extensive SCLC, not limited, but he had the same chemo meds as your Mom. The tests he's had are; chest x-rays, CT scan for liver involvement, bone scan and brain scan, and blood tests. Wish I could help you more.

Hi Botley,

When I was first diagnosed, I had a CT scan, a brain MRI, and a bone scan. After the chemo and radiation I had another CT which showed a spot that they thought was probably scar tissue, it was then that a PET was done to be sure. Then I had the PCI. Now my doctor has ordered another CT of the chest and lower body, but I got a letter from my insurance co. today that says it was not approved. Probably because I just had the PET in Aug. Not sure where we'll go from here. I have to wonder why they just didn't do the PET in the first place instead of the CT. They probably only follow the CT with a PET if there is a question. The PET shows activity, I think. Oh yeah, also when my doc ordered this last CT he told me that the insurance won't pay all the cost of an MRI for SCLC. hmmm.

Jenny