can cancer be detected via blood tests?

I was diagnosed with non small squamous lung cancer in november of 2000 and subsequently had surgery. The stage was stage one.. no lympth node involvement. I recently went for an xray and it showed clear but my doctor has ordered blood tests... liver and kidney and cholesteral. I'm wondering if cancer can be detected by blood tests?

Not yet. The tests he ordered can reflect the results of cancer, they follow blood counts, platelets, calcium levels. etc. At the University of Minnesota they are doing research to detect micrometastasis. They are testing lymph nodes and blood but it is in the research stage and they are hoping that they will be able to more accurately detect who of Stage 1 needs chemo . Now pathology looks negative and about 40 % come up with a new tumor the first year due to "micrometastasis " that can not be detected by the pathologist with the current technology. This is why they are currently recommending chemo to Stage 1 post op and they will until they get a better test . The problem as I see it is if the lung cancer is in your blood that would mean it has spread from the lung, not an early diagnostic tool for sure so the best still is the CT or PET Scan for looking for tumors. Anybody have any other new news on this? Donna G