Looking for someone in a similar situation...

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Guest canuckwebgrrl

My step-father was diagnosed with extensive SCLC, met. to liver and some nodes March 1 2003. He has had his first chemo round, and is due for second this week. He is 52, besides some weight loss is in good health. I was just wondering if someone out there with a similar prognosis could tell me what to expect. It still seems crazy that he's so sick, he seems OK and feels pretty good. Prolonged "pneumonia" and coughing up blood brought him to Emergency room, we found out about the cancer the next day. I'm 28 and haven't smoked since his diagnosis.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Canuckwebgrrl,

I'm sorry that you have found the need to visit this board. This board is a great place to find answers to questions and get support from people who are going through the same thing as you are. Our stories seem to be similar as my mother was diagnosed with SCLC on 1-3-03 extensive with mets to the liver and lymph node involvement. At first she did not seem so sick but her disease progressed very fast. She now is on her 5th round of chemo and doing very well. Her last scans which were three treatments ago show significant shrinkage in her mediastinal masses and also showed that her liver mets were less with significant shrinkage of the remaining mets. The worse part has been the weakness and fatigue she feels the week of and the week after chemo. She goes for chemo every three weeks. She has only two more treatments planned and they will check scans. If you look at Laurie's posts she also has a mother with SCLC and she is in remisson right now. Her posts have given me hope that my mother will soon be in remission. Don't give up hope as there are many survivors of extensive SCLC out there. I will keep you and your step father in my prayers. Keep us posted on his progress.

Lots of Hugs!!

Susan M.

Hi there,

I am in a similar situation as well. My mom was dx'd with extensive SCLC with mets to her pancreas in early Jan 03 with similar symptoms as your step Dad. She had pneumonia that wouldn't go away. She got sicker before she started treatment b/c SCLC grows so fast!!! She saw immediate results with her first round of treatment. SHe just completed her 3rd round of chemo and is doing so good!!!! Her cat scans showed significant decreased in the size of her tumors after only 2 treatments of chemo. She gets 3 days of treatment (VP-16 and Carboplatin) and then she has off the next 3 weeks. She is having a repeat of her scans when she completes 6 chemo treatments. She is very tired the first few days after chemo treatment and then the next 3 weeks she does great. Right now she went off on a little trip to visit her niece for a couple of days. We are very blessed right now that my mom's doing so well. She is in otherwise perfect health except for the cancer and she is 63. Your step dad definitely has that going for him, his age and health. I try so hard not to focus on the stats, they aren't very good, but I believe many beat them!!!!! YOu found a great place to be and there are great people here that are willing to help.

Praying for your step dad.

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Your Mom's story does sound much like my step-fathers. You mentioned how the stats aren't very good, I've noticed that too. My step-father doesn't know what the stats are. I'm having a hard time believing that the stats are right when my step-father feels pretty good when not sick from chemo (like your Mom). How is it possible that he has what most believe is a terminal illness, but seems OK to the whole family? I don't know what to expect. Other than the chemo not working, what can happen to change his health so drastically? Even with extensive, metastastic lung cancer, it seems hard to accept that he is so ill because he seems OK.

Hi Chris,

Welcome,

I am sorry that it is Lung cancer that has brought you here.. sure does suck doesn't it??? :roll: Excuse my language but thats how I feel about cancer!! Anyway... we are here to support you and probably have felt most of the feelings you are having. My Mom had SCLC too... she is currently "remmission/cancer free" praise God! :lol: When she first was diagnosed with SCLC her lung was collapsed and she was looked awful.. :cry: So the fact that your Stepfather feels great is a good sign!!!!!!! Attitude is important. I posted something in inspiration about the stats.. It is by Dr. Stephen Gould.. its good.. Hope to be seeing you post... The people here are great.

(((((((Hugs))))))))) to you and your family.

Laurie

Chris, probably the worst that can happen is that the chemo stops working. Your step dad may get sick along the way with the chemo treatments, but I pray he won't.

I know what you mean, my mom right now is just like she always was. It is amazing. I wouldn't know she was sick. She was very, very sick though before she started treatment. So I think that's a definite plus that your Dad is feeling great to begin with.

I think Connie on this board tells of SCLC survivors she's met who've beat the stats. I like to believe our loved ones and the wonderful people on this board will do just that, beat the stats!!!!!!!!! We are creating a whole new statistic!!!!!

Right now enjoy the time with your step dad while he's feeling good. There isn't a day that passes just about, that I don't see my mom. Fortunately she lives close to me. It's amazing how much I appreciate every moment with her now.

So keep the faith!!!!!!! THere is hope all around us.:)

Guest ocean

It sounds like we have similiar stories. I debated telling my daddys story because I dont want you to lose hope. There is always hope in my opinion.

but here it is. my daddy was diagnosed on feb 14th with small cell lung cancer that had metastised to his liver. they at first said it would be a little less than a year(never did figure out how they could say that) then it was shortened 2 days later to maybe six months... the sad story is that things went so fast for him. he got pneumonia and a bowel obstruction and passed away 2 weeks after the original diagnosis. I believe that the cancer just spread so fast in his abdomen he was swelled up and couldnt eat or drink. and his stomach hurt very bad. In a way I'm almost glad he never had a chance to start the chemo. He was supposed to start the chemo the second week after he was diagnosed but they wouldnt do it because of his already weakened condition. Im glad we did our best to make each of those last minutes count. we have pictures videos and journals that will forever be a comfort to all of us. hope all works out for you!

take care

Ocean

Hi Ocean,

I'm glad to see you posting. I am so sorry that your life has been affected in such a horrible way by this disease, you are part of this family..no matter what stage or outcome or emotional level someone is at, we are here to support each other and tell our story so that it will have meaning and help otheres. There were many times I feared my Mom was going to die and it wasn't her time, and i am so thankful because I just lost my grandmother in january and she was a true treasure in my life.. to lose her and my mother at the same time would have been unbearable... I too like to think of the memories I have a beautiful picture of us together on my fireplace mantle.. and it seems like the sun sunshines so brightly when I think of her. The morning we buried her we took my Mom to the grave and it was snowing the sunshine came out brightly and birds came and landed on the tent. It was her way of telling me that she is okay.. and that all is well, she made it to the otherside...

There is always hope here and unfortunately at times we are uable to control what course this dreadful battle takes. I would like to offer my support and prayers to you.

(((((Hugs))))))

Laurie

Guest canuckwebgrrl

I am so sorry your Dad's cancer took him so quickly. Don't ever apologize or be worried about telling his story. All the posts are useful and appreciated. How old was your Dad? My step-father had pneumonia when he was diagnosed, but it has since cleared up. The Dr.s haven't given any timelines, because my step-dad doesn't want to know, he just wants to concentrate on fighting. He starts his second round of chemo today.

I know what you mean when you say you're glad your Dad didn't start chemo. I had that exact same thought about my step-dad. I worried that the chemo wouldn't do much, and then he would have been sick for no reason for the last while of his life.

How did your Dad cope with his end-of-life issues and stress?

If you don't want to talk about it that's OK :) I just want to learn everything I can about what to expect so I can be ready and help my step-dad and Mom deal with everything.

Thank you for your post.

Guest canuckwebgrrl

What wonderful news about your Mom! Did her original dx. include any mets.? Why was PCI treatment decided on if she's cancer-free? If she didn't have the PCI, would it affect her chance of the cancer coming back? If so, does it only affect the head, or does PCI help the cancer not return elsewhere in the body? Please excuse my ignorance, I don't know much at all about PCI.

Thanks for welcoming me :D

Guest canuckwebgrrl

I really appreciate the warm welcome I've received here. It really helps to read about others going through the same thing. Especially when I don't feel like I could share through a traditional "support group" without crying. It's so easy to support one another through the Internet!

Such an amazing picture of you and your Dad! I wish I had something similar to put on my postings (this is my dog), but we really haven't been much of a picture-taking family. I keep thinking I'd like to take some pictures, especially since my step-dad looks good and is just starting to lose his hair because of the chemo. But I don't know if that will make him feel bad, or remind the family of the cancer. When we spend time together now we have a happy time and don't talk about the cancer or treatment much. I'm not sure if I should bring my camera over next time we're all there, discuss it beforehand with everyone, or just forget about it since it might cause upset. Any suggestions? Has anyone else dealt with this?

Hi Chris,

Hello, When my Mom was originally DX with SCLC her lung was collapsed and she was in alot of pain. She had a biopsy and had chemo the next day. Due to the fact she had a huge tumor that had collapsed the lung, the doctor told us that it was probably in other areas and that he had near seen SCLC this large without mets to other areas. But the scans that were done after the first chemo didn't show any mets. The PCI is preventative brain radiation and it is kind of controversial. My Moms doctors believe in it. If all goes well it is supposed to reduce your chances of reoccurance by 5% and brain reoccurance drops down to like 5%.. I quess that 50-60% of people who have reoccurance have brain mets.

My Mom wanted to have it done. So far she is doing well. I quess the side effects can be pretty bad and then you can't have as much radiation if more tumors appear.

Laurie