hello...new here

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking for a bit, and it has been very comforting. You all seem like an amazing, brave, caring group. I'm writing now because I guess everything became very real to me today at my father's first visit with his oncologist. Here's my father's journey so far.

He began having headaches with some confusion in late October. Also some leg pain and knee numbness. After a couple of visits to family physician, sent for an MRI. Turns out to be lung cancer with many mets to the brain. Has surgery to remove largest tumor (size of a clementine orange) a week later. Started WBR 2 weeks later (finished on December 26). Lately he's been having extreme back pain controlled by high doses of vicodan. Today we met with the oncologist who said it is Stage IV lung adenocarcinoma poorly differentiated with mets to the brain, liver, lymph nodes, and bones (spine). He started him on oxycontin and told him no more driving. He has also lost 10 lbs in the past 30 days despite the fact that he's been eating like a horse due to decadron. His legs have wasted away to sticks. He will start chemo next week. I guess what I'd like to know is this...is this the worst possible diagnoses given all the mets and being poorly diffentiated? I know this disease moves fast. Does anyone have a similar experience? What can I expect? Is he almost out of time, depite his very positive attitude? Thank you so much reading this.

Wishing you and you loved ones a Happy, Healthy New Year.

Hi,

I am sorry you had to find us, but, if you are facing Lung Cancer, this is the place to be.

I can't comment on your Dads prognosis, everyone is SO VERY different and everyone responds very differently to treatments. My Dad was Stage IV when he was diagnosed and he fought for 3 1/2 years. He was 76 at the time of diagnosis.

I know you are scared and I know you want someone to "lay out a time frame for you"... unfortunately even the best of doctors can't do that.... the best I can tell you is to cherish every moment and be there to be your Dads advocate.( I am sure you are already doing both of these things...)

If you need to "talk" we are always here to listen and help support you through this journey.

Love, Sharon

Hi popsgirl and welcome. Sorry you have to be here but you will find many wonderful people and much support here.

As everyone said before me it is difficult to determine the outcome, as everyone is so different and what works for one, maybe not another, but there are still many options to get through to find something that works.

I'm writing because your Father's dx is very similar to Col's. Although Col had only one brain met, similar to the one they removed from your dad. I will tell you that it will scare the living crud out of you. And when she came home from the hospital after her brain surgery and first chemo I remember sitting at the kitchen table with some family and friends. I think it was the first time that it REALLY hit me. She looked so thin, and so frail, and just so beat up, I actually thought the worst, and I also thought it could happen quickly.

Well here we are 6 chemo treatments every 4 weeks later, 15 radiation treatments and Tarceva, over a year later, and now I look at her and think, Is she really even sick?

My point is that there is always hope, and many people do respond and respond well, and we all adjust over time to what's happening. It's scary as Sh** right now I know. But please find comfort in the fact that there is so much that they can do these days medically that you just need to prepare for the ups and downs of this roller coaster ride, and keep your eyes focused straight ahead to the prize that is living with cancer.

Please keep us updated on how things are progressing and feel free to come here to vent, ask questions, or just chat. Prayers for you all.