thoughts

lilyjohn

A few years ago while trying to understand my life and so much that had gone wrong I would write down just about anything that came to mind. One day I wrote this. It kind of explains one of the reasons I always feel so compleled to try and help or to volunteer for so many things. I hope you don't mind my putting it here.

Thoughts

God doesn't put us here to live selfishly. Everyone of us will encounter many people in our lives who are in need one way or another. We are supposed to give them as much help as we possibly can. That support can be physical as an example doing some task that they are unable to perform for themselves, or emtional such as being there to give encuragment and love in a time of stress or deep personal loss or pain.

The most valuable thing that we have to offer another person is our time. We can use that time for just a word to let those people in our lives know that we care, that they matter. Sometimes that is all it will take to make the difference between life and death. No one is immune to need. At one time in our life each of us will be alone, sick or afraid. Sometimes we will suffer from all of these things. Without someone to care and show that they do we stand little chance of surviving those times at least surviving them without terrible scars.

That is why I believe that indifference or as I call it emotional neglect is not only a tragedy but a sin. When we turn our backs on those in need we are turning our backs on God. We are telling Him that our own needs and comfort are more important than the reason He put us all on this Earth together.

What a wonderful world this would be if each person took just a few minutes each day to reach out to someone in need. Looking around today at all of the problems we face it is easy to see how many people have forgotten God and what he expects of us.

"And thou shall love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: This is the first commandment.

And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. Mark: 1: 31 and 32