Brain mets and hope...

Petunia

At first "my world" as I like to call her was depressed. Now it is much more. I gave her stories of hope to lighten her day but, unfortunately, the MRI came back with mets to the brain. I have written everywhere for some hope. I really should learn where is the best place to write daily..maybe in general discussion...I know so many of the stories here and other places and I don't know how to always be kept up on the info...

She was dx in February of this year and completed 6 cycles of chemo with good results. Had a brain MRI done 3 months ago that was clear. Now it is not clear. There are mets all over her brain. We have to go for WBR. She has been having horrible headaches so that is why we went to the Dr. and asked to push the MRI up. She has also been very, very forgetful. Forgetting things that we just talked about.

I know I have written before for advice on pci but can anyone give information on WBR? The doctor said to be on the lookout for seizures. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does the forgetfulness go away? Can anyone share of their, or someone they know, survivor stories? Can she survive after brain mets?

I have been positive, however, it is very difficult to watch her be broken. She is not only physically broken, she is also mentally broken ,and I do not know how or what to do to fix her. Am I just being naive thinking that she will come through this? i NEED to be positive because I truly believe that attitude is half the battle

Petunia:

I have not had WBR but, I came about 30 minutes from it. I had many brain mets and was taken in for the simulation and making of the mask you wear, bolted to the table, when they do the radiation. My oncologist had been out of town last holiday season, when I had landed back in the hospital and an MRI revealed my cancer was again spreading. The doctors at the hospital referred me to radiation oncology. I read all the side effects and warnings on WBR. It was scary, but it was scarier to think what might happen if they did not attempt to stop the cancer spread.

They were contacted by my oncologist while I still sat in a waiting room after signing all the consent forms. He made the decision to start me on the targeted therapy I am on now. I was fortunate. It is working for me. But, I had prepared and accepted that WBR was an option that would give me a chance to continue with my life. I still had hope. I trusted my doctors. I love my family and want to stay around as long as possible. It is normal to be scared, anyone would be.

Hopefully someone who has had WBR will notice your thread and answer your questions. I know there are some others who visit this site. For specific medical questions you can go to the Ask the Experts forum on this site and click the link there. It will take you to the place where you can ask a medical doctor your questions. For support I hope someone with that experience will visit this forum soon. I know it is hard to watch your mom struggle, but try to be there to love her and support her the best you can. Keep up your hope and she will be able to gain strength and hope through you. She needs you more than ever.

Hugs,

Susan

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Petunia:

That link for medical information is: http://blog.lungevity.org/ask-the-experts/

They should be able to answer your specific questions about side effects and results. They answer questions specifically for this site and it is a LUNGevity page you will post your questions to. I visited the page and it looks easy to do. Best wishes for you and your mom.

Susan

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2