Finally telling my dad's story

ceack

Hello, everyone. I have been reading and posted a couple of times over the past 2 years. It is so hard to read my own writing about my dad's journey with lung cancer. It just makes it seem real and I really don't want it to be. However, I know that it is. My dad(age 58 now) was diagnosed in July of 2002 stage 3a NSCLC. He had chemo. 1st, then his right upper lobe removed. One year later(Aug 2003) he had a seizure. He was treated with radiosurgery plus WBRT( with complete success). Checkups were fine until July(2004). One tumor was successfully treated again with radiosurgery. Follow-ups reveal NED in lungs ,abdomen, and brain Nov.1st 2004. Then the Dec. MRI showed up with 2 new tumors. He will be treated tomorrow morning with radiosurgery. He is very positive and trusting God. He never has even took much time off from work. He is still working full time 5 days a week from 6 A.M. to 6P.M.! I just can't stand this. I love my parents so much. He is the most wonderful man in the world. He is being treated at MD Anderson. Isn't there anything we can do to keep these new tumors from coming? You all have so much wisdom and knowledge on this board. I am praying for all of us.

Hi Ceak,

Your dad sounds like he has been doing great. Wish there were something that could keep the tumors from reappearing. Justakid started on Tarceva, a newly approved drug. I don't know if this is something that your dad would benefit from or not.

I will be thinking about your dad and praying that his treatment is successful.

I know how hard this is for you. You are not alone and you need to hold on to your dad's hand and he needs to hold on to yours too. Keep each other close.

With love,

Cindi o'h

together WE heal.

Hi, and thanks for sharing your story. I know how hard it is to write about this stuff - its something I had alot of trouble starting, and even now I don't really post much about what is going on with me emotionally, as it makes the whole thing seem too real somehow.

Sounds like your Dad has been doing great, and his cancer responds well to treatment. I hope this continues to be the case. I don't know what can be done to stop new tumours from growing. My Mum is on a clinical trial of an anti-angiogenesis drug, which I guess is trying to do this, along with arresting the growth of existing tumours. Seems to be working so far - maybe you could look into clinical trials that might suit your Dad.

I wish you all the best,

Karen

Thank you for your replies. I will check on Tarceva and clinical trials. He went through the radiosurgery very well. It was a very long day. On Sat. he was tired , but up and smiling and hugging on the grandkids. I guess we will find out in a month how the treatment worked. Again, thank you so much for your prayers and replies.