Iressa Rash

Fay A.

If you are on Iressa you should use the mildest shampoo and soap you can find. The thing that worked the best for me was the unscented Aveeno Baby wash and Baby Shampoo. And I used the unscented Aveeno lotion on my back, chest, arms, etc. It helped keep the inflammation down for me. This isn't a true acne like condition, it just looks like it. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic cream to use on my face and neck. I was able to use Bactroban with good results and no bad side effects. I couldn't use the Clindomycin Cream because I have Crohn's Disease. Drinking a lot of water each day also helped.

You have to be careful about secondary bacterial, viral and fungal infections setting in. Anytime you have broken skin this is a potential complication. Hope this helps,

Fay A.

You know Fay this would be a great post to be saved in the Helpful Hints forum, but we don't have it anymore. I think you should repost it in the alternative treatments so it doesn't get buried in the General.

My husband is having a heck of a time with the rash. Rash doesn't begin to describe it. It is so nasty. Sometimes the sores open up and bleed. The doctor gave him a topical cream that helps but doesn't clear it up, so I thank you VERY MUCH for the suggestion. :lol:

Hi, Ry,

I had a rough experience with Iressa and the face/scalp rash. I picked up a bacterial infection on my face and scalp, it was so bad that I had to go off Iressa for 2 weeks (I was taking 500 mg of Iressa each day as part of a clinical trial). Then because of the antibiotics I developed a fungal infection. So I was a bit of a mess for awhile. I hope the Aveeno Products work as well for others as they did for me. It's important to get the unscented products, at least for me it was. I'll try to transfer this the original post to the alternative med section. I can't handle sitting at the computer for too long, so maybe later on tonight.

Take care,

Fay A.

Actually Peggy this subject came up with our oncologist. He said at first they seemed to think that the rash meant it was working and later found there is no connection. One of the nurses did say that the sales rep told them the rash was a good sign, but the doctor said they found no connection.

• 2 weeks later...

HI, Fay,

When you were on Iressa, did anybody ever mention that a patient had to wait 3 months before starting Iressa after a surgery because the medicine may impact the healing from surgery? This is what my father was told by his oncologist but I can't find any info on the net. I wonder if it is some new findings in some clinical trials.

Thanks,