Nother Question for my Mama

Treebywater

Sorry to be so full of questions...

Mom wanted me to ask around/look around and see if there is anything that can combat the awful, nasty taste she has in her mouth. I guess it is from the pain meds? She's using Fentonil and Vicadin (sorry if I butchered spelling). She's also doing Radiation.

So... has anybody else experienced this and did you find anything to help?

Me and Mom thank you muchly. ;)

Val,

If she means a metallic taste during radiation, she's in the same 10% of people that I am...

I found that sucking on sour candy during my nukin' helped. My favorite is Altoids Sours - Tangerine. Keeps the saliva flowing and dissipates the taste faster. I just popped a mouthful prior to saddling up for the zapping.

If it's a chemo taste, I have no clue how to fix that...

Take care,

Becky

The kind of metallic taste from radiation doesn't JUST happen while you're getting zapped. It can kind of come and go. I wasn't terribly bothered by it, but when I was I would suck on a lemon drop or those root beer barrel candies. That helped.

I am all done with tx. Finished chemo in Sept. and just finished PCI brain rad in Nov. and I still will get sort of a yukky taste in my mouth sometimes. It's not that metallic taste you can get from chemo and/or radiation, but it's not pleasant either. :? Sometimes I wonder if it's just that I don't smoke anymore...so my taste buds are on high alert?? :roll: I dunno!

But a hard candy, sourball or even chewing a piece of gum might help. When all else failed....I had myself a vanilla vodka with grape juice and that pretty much took care of things! :):wink:

My mom is always sucking on candy canes. she was doing it before chemo and still does. She says it works for everything and it also helps settle the tummy too...

i say go to the stores and stock up on the 90% off christmas candy canes. I hope the taste goes away for her.