what will happen

nikkala

Hi All,

Don't know if anyone can answer this but I'll ask anyway. My gram had a bronchoscopy yesterday. They got several biopsies and hopefully can "diagnose " her cancer now. She has a 7cm tumor with node involvement and spread to the adrenal gland. While doing the bronch they also found one of her vocal cords involved with a large growth. After the bronch her oxygen blood level was checked and only at about 1/2. She refuses any and all treatment including being sent home with oxygen. She has been a smoker for 60 yrs and isn't gonna quit. My question finally is what will happen with the oxygen deprivation? Also what will happen with the vocal cord growth. Any input is greatly appreciated.

In Montreal, we have a few 'home palliative care' programs and I think it could be a good idea for her to be comfortable. You should find out for one of these... A significant amount of time is spent counselling and teaching patients and family on issues as diverse as the stages of dying, the use of morphine for pain and symptom control, oxygen, nutrition, hygiene, etc.

Good luck!

Anaïs

Nikkala,

There is much I would like to say to you but that will have to wait for another time. For now the one thing I can suggest is to give your Grandma a little time and space (if that is what she wants) to absorb the "gut shot" she just took with that diagnosis. Let her know about the folks on this board who are beating the odds every day (including me ... I was given 8 to 15 months at my dx and, with no treatment, I'm into month 16 and doing pretty well, concidering).

If she does decide not to aggresivialy treat her disease you might want to offer up hospice care as an option. Their concern is the comfort of the terminally ill patient and they have been a Godsend to me. I don't know about your Grandma, but for me, if my days are short in number I'd MUCH rather spend them pain free and breathing as easily as I can so that I can enjoy them as much as possible.

Dean

Thank you both for your answers. I do want to say my Gram is at peace with dying. She lost her hubby(my grampa) to Lung Cancer 8 yrs ago after a 50 yr marriage that most people only dream of. Since then she has longed to be with him again and is almost relieved at the thought of dying. I am not nagging her about treatment as I TOTALLY understand and respect her wishes and she talks about it all very openly with me. I think it is more me being scared of how she will die. Like should I be watching her problems with her mind and should I call an ambulance if she starts gasping for air and will that happen all of a sudden or is it gradual. She has a living will and wants no life saving measures at all. Will her heart give out from the oxygen deprivation? Will she just start gasping? I am starting to sound a little crazy so I better stop here. Thank you again.

By the way Dean, I have read so many of your inspiring posts and just want to say Thanks.

All your questions are why I suggested hospice care. They can answer them for you and be there through those times. While they've been a big help to me, it's my wife, Gay, that has had the most benefit from them being around. My hospice nurse visits every week and will visit more often as I get closer to taking the next step on my journy. If I need an extra visit for some reason (happend once) she'll be there ASAP. That means I DON'T have to go rushing off to the ER everytime something doesn't seem right. I get my meds delivered right to my door so no trips to the pharmacy and if I need something in the middle of the night (which, again, happened once) the on call nurse went and got it and got it to me within the hour.

While all that is good, the biggest thing is that we know we have someone available 24/7 who's "been there, done that" and KNOWS what to do based on what is happening to me and what my wishes are. That relieves a ton of pressure off both myself and Gay.

Whatever happens I'm praying for you and your Gram.

Dean

Thank you Dean, I am so glad to hear hospice has been so good to you and Gay. We are waiting to "finally" get an official diagnosis from the bronchoscopy on Fri. We should hear on Tues and then we should be able to get hospice care. I am a trained Nurses Aide so I do know a little of what to watch for and stuff I guess it's just different when it's someone you love. I'll let you know what I find out on Tues. Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

HI

O2 deprivation causes many symptoms. Please let her know that she can be treated with O2 even if she has decided not to quit smoking.

There are portable o2 sat machines available. Medicare/hospice should be able to make one available.

For some people, the o2 saturation is worse at night. Perhaps she'd agree to use O2 at night only.

It may help her decide if you explain to her that she doesn't have to give up the smoking, and that it will make her feel a lot better with the 02.

Weakness, tiredness and headaches are just a few of the signs of 02 deprivation.

Also, if she seems very depressed, you might try and see if she is willing to talk to someone. Even if it's only here on the internet. There is a wealth of support here and on other sites dealing with cancer.

Take care