LOW HEMOGOBLIN COUNT QUESTION !!!

Larry

I am puzzled by my wife's energy she seem's to be having with low Hemogoblin Count's. She had 2 pint's put in her a month ago and last week the nurses were once again concerned about how low her count was again. Now here's what i think is strange my wife say's she has been feeling really good the last 2 week's with more energy than what i've seen in quite some time.She recieve's Topotecan once a week and Zometa once a month. Any ideas or has anyone else experienced this ????????

Larry

I am puzzled by my wife's energy she seem's to be having with low Hemogoblin Count's. She had 2 pint's put in her a month ago and last week the nurses were once again concerned about how low her count was again. Now here's what i think is strange my wife say's she has been feeling really good the last 2 week's with more energy than what i've seen in quite some time.She recieve's Topotecan once a week and Zometa once a month. Any ideas or has anyone else experienced this ????????

Larry

Exactly how LOW have her hemoglobin counts been ?

Bill in answer to your question on how low has her count been.

When she was given transfusion it was down to 7.3 and i'm guessing as the wife did not ask the nurse this last time that it is more than likely down to around 8.Wife only stated that the nurses were very surprised when she told them how she has been feeling and then they told her her count was low again.I had to work that day or i would have been there and i would have asked.

The weekend I needed transfusions....my HGB was 6.0 when tested in the doctor's office. By the time I got upstairs for the actual transfusions...it had dropped further to 5.6. My platelets were also in the dumper at 12,000!! :shock:

The nurse said I should be "face down on the floor"...but I was walkin', talkin' just like usual.

I'll say this, though....after I had the blood and platelets on Friday and Saturday....on Sunday, I was scrubbing the kitchen floor! I had a ton of energy, even though I hadn't felt all that tired BEFORE the transfusions.

I too, am on Topotecan...but NOT Zometa. Everyone is different...but sometimes I get sort of energized by the steroids...and other times, I get energized for no apparent reason! Perhaps your wife's burst of energy simply means the Topo is working, killing off the cancer, and she is feeling better...eh?

I like to think that's the case when I'm energized...as it's a real positive thought! :wink:

Bill in answer to your question on how low has her count been.

When she was given transfusion it was down to 7.3 and i'm guessing as the wife did not ask the nurse this last time that it is more than likely down to around 8.Wife only stated that the nurses were very surprised when she told them how she has been feeling and then they told her her count was low again.I had to work that day or i would have been there and i would have asked.

Larry :

I have spoken with many cancer patients, OCNs, lab techs and other HCPs about lab values, including hemoglobin. Many of the cancer patients ( undergoing chemo ) had hemoglobin values in the 6.5 - 7.5 range. All of these patients appeared to me to be energetic and they claimed to feel good. No tx mentioned or observed other than Procrit. On one occasion I did observe one guy receiving supplemental iron ( with a 6.5 hemoglobin ). My wife's hemoglobin averages around the mid-elevens and in the last few months it has jumped into the 12 - 13 range. No weekly Procrit for her unless her hemoglobin drops below 12.