Alimta Only

DebAlex

My partner has started Alimta and is concerned that the Dr. did not combine this with (I think) cisplatin. Previously the Dr. said he would give him both, but then changed to only Alimta. He thinks that possibly corners are being cut due to his HMO. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I've tried to do a search on this, but am having a hard time with this site. Thank you much.

What exactly are you searching for? Alimta? His doctor may have a very good reason for doing what he/she is doing. I would honeslty suggest talking to the doctor and asking him/her why they are making changes if that's what is happening. I don't think it's the HMO that is causing this. If his HMO is covering Alimta, then I wouldn't think that. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet until you talk to the doctor first.

In the post you wrote on Sept 2, you did state that he was going to have Cisplatinum and Alimta. Cisplat is very hard on the body, and being he did already have other chemo's this might be why he is not getting the Cisplat??! Not sure, but I would ask the doc if I were you.

Best wishes,

Connie

I am also on Alimta with no other chemo. I don't know for sure, but I "think" that Alimta in combination with other chemo's is through trials. I may be wrong about this, but I think that may be the reason.

I agree w/Connie, check with the doctor as to his reasons.

TAnn

I am also on Alimta with no other chemo. I don't know for sure, but I "think" that Alimta in combination with other chemo's is through trials. I may be wrong about this, but I think that may be the reason.

I agree w/Connie, check with the doctor as to his reasons.

TAnn

That is ringing a bell with me too. It seems like the doctor even said something about how they usually DON'T pair up Alimta and other chemos with Mom.

Mike was on Alimta alone also. He was given folic acid and took vitamin B12 shots, but other than that it was used alone. The only other thing that comes to mind is they may put it with Avastin. Avastin is often put with others and will soon be given to Mike. From what I have heard from others, Alimta is used alone quite often.

Sue