No More Insurance after tomorrow (9-30)

Larry

Not sure if this belong's here or not but we just found out today that 9-30 is our last day of insurance coverage. Were hoping we can can get state medicaid but we may have to much money in the bank and maybe to much of every thing. The problem is if we liquidate to meet the state requirement's then our non insurable need's will not be met. Yes we can pay for maybe 3 round's of treatment and then were busted broke bummed out so then what happen's if the state through it's beaucratic bumbling take's 6 month's to decide?!My wife is a now former state supervisor but due to this illness had to take early retirement.And of course i'm on SS and so were not getting rich..Then you ad that the wife has gotten so sick and lost weight because of the extreme diarreah from her treatment's that we are taking a xtra week away from chemo to give her a chance to regain her energy and hopeful weight. Next week is more lab work and doctor's visit and were not sure of that cost so here we go down the road of uncertainty and with more understanding of the need's of those less fortunate.....

I should explain that they (all former state employee's) are having a meeting at the library oct-6 to find out exactly where we all stand on the insurance issue. We do know that they are changing insurance carrier's and possibly we may be able to afford to pay for it.If were able to afford the insurance (hopefully not over $700.00 a month) that we will not miss enough treatment's to give the cancer a chance to take a better grip. But we know there are those far worse off than us and pray for them alway's.Any way if i sounded a bit over dramatic i apologize as i was upset at the one day notice we were given and i was over reacting some as i needed to let the steam off.Oh our latest shock was the wife has wanted to prepay her funeral for quite some time(year's) and i just did not want to deal with such realization's. Well i gave in today and since she want's cremated that is what we paid for and good lord it cost as much to be cremated as it did to bury our son in 1994 . Of course this price does include everything but darn they sure make sure you can't take it with you.......

Larry, I am so sorry you have to worry about this. you know, there are attorneys out there who could help you navigate the medicare spend-down mine field without leaving you two destitute. there are things like special-needs trusts, and so on, that can be done in conjunction with your SSDI. my knowledge here just scratches the surface and the laws vary slightly state to state, but I encourage you to talk to someone locally.

good luck, you guys!!

xoxo

bunny

Thank's Bunny but one problem we would face is our joint income being excessive or in other word's were to rich. And yet we could set down and show without any doubt's that our income is not excessive due to the cost of every day living. According to the State of Kansas if i read there poverty line's correctly and the US gov line's correctly were 250% above poverty. So go figure me on SS and her disibility income...