Cat's Claw

A friend recommended Cat’s Claw as an herbal cancer treatment. An internet search reveals a lot of good things being said by the people trying to sell it. May I have some of your thoughts about Cat’s Claw?

http://cancer.ucsd.edu/Outreach/PublicE ... tsclaw.asp

Cat's Claw – This treatment modality is used in place of conventional therapies to treat cancer. Seek advice from a qualified physician before replacing standard cancer therapy with cat’s claw treatment.

What does cat's claw treatment involve? Cat's claw (Uncaria tomentosa) is a plant most often imported from the rainforests of Peru. Its inner bark is used for a variety of medicinal purposes including cancer and tumors. Cat's claw can be taken as a liquid, capsule or tea.

How is cat's claw thought to treat cancer? Cat's claw contains a group of alkaloids that are thought to possess anti-cancer and antitumor activity and stimulate the immune system.

What has been proven about the benefit of cat's claw? Cat's claw's role in improving the immune system in cancer patients has been recently reported. Many of the alkaloids in cat's claw have demonstrated immunostimulant properties in the laboratory. The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center performed a human studies literature review of cat's claw and found three studies relevant to cancer. The evidence for the efficacy of cat's claw was inconclusive due to the small study population.

What is the potential risk or harm of cat's claw? Though little published data exists, no serious side effects have been reported, and cat's claw is considered low in toxicity. However cat’s claw may block platelets from forming clots, so concurrent use with other blood thinning drugs, such as aspirin, is not recommended.

How much does cat's claw cost? The cost of cat's claw varies with the product formulation. Prices begin at $6.00 for capsules and $6.00 per ounce for liquids.

For additional information:

The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

1515 Holcombe Boulevard

Houston, TX 77030

Telephone: (800) 392-1611

Web site: www.mdanderson.org/departments/CIMER/

Have had no personal experience and others may have but for personal info here goes what I found as far as non effectiveness; Follow this link:

http://www.ncahf.org/articles/c-d/catsclaw.html

Could be wrong, so don't get upset. You may want to consult with Onc I presume for use as a Complementive therapy. But not alternative therapy. Just my thoughts. Good Luck. Keep us posted.