New To Board / Questions.....

Botley

Hi,

My Mother has sclc (limited stage) and has almost finished chemo #5 or the 6 scheduled sessions of Chemo (carboplatin/etoposide). The plan to date has been radiation but the Dr. seemed hesitant to give us a definitive answer regarding the radiation after this last treatment. She has responded very well to the Chemo - much better than we had expected. Fatigued somewhat and hospitalized for one night due to anemia /low counts and the need for tranfusions - she had a horific bloody nose that was very difficult to stop. Other than that she has had very mild side effects and we feel very blessed by this. The growth is almost completely gone and to date has not spread any where else. He said there would be further tests and so forth to assess her situation after a one month break. I realize everyone is different and the Dr. said he did not want to ruin her quality of life. Looking for advice/experiences regarding radiation. She would attend for 6 weeks 5 days a week. Should we push for radiaiton if possible or is the chemo sufficient in many instances????? Thanks for any advice & input.

Take care,

Botley

Any other chat rooms or sites I should visit please let me know..... Thanx

Hi Botley,

Welcome to the group. I had a similar situation and started the radiation around my 3rd dose of chemo, but thought it should have been sooner and felt that I had to push for it. There may be good reason he wants to hold off, but I'd ask what it was. Depending on the health and tolerance of the patient, I always wanted the most agressive treatment available, but of course, we don't want to die from the treatment either. ALWAYS question until you feel comfortable with the answers. Chemo and rad at the same time can be tough. I was also hospitalized for 5 days due to an infection developed because of low white blood cell, but this can be combated with neulasta, which I was given after that. In her case, they might give it from the start. The neutropena can be life threatening. It sounds like things are going pretty well with the treatment, I wish you the best.

Jenny[/b]

Botely, Jenny and I have almost mirrored each other as far as dignosis dates and treatment protocal. I had my radiation and chemo treatments at the same time and believe it was a little harder as far as the fatigue and other side effects but always keep in mind that they are side effects of the cure--not the disease. You did not mention how old you mother is which may have played a part in the desicio n not to do radiation at this time. Her over all health situation may have also played a part in the decision. As for your question as to if to push for radiation, my vote would be a definite YES!!! My thinking is that anything which will help, I WANT. Preventative brain radiation (PCI) which is usualy done after all chemo and any chest radiation for people who have a good response to the treatments is a controversial treatment which many people do not opt for but in my case, again, i felt that if there was any chance of furthering my survival rate then I wanted to have it done. Everybody is different and no decision is right for everyone so you and you mother must really search you soles and do your research on the treatments and make your'e own decision as to you treatment protocal. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

David C

Since she is a limited stage, mine was extensive. My understanding is they usually do radiation early on thru the chemo. If the chemo did well enough maybe he has decided she did not need it now and save it to use another time if there is a reoccurance. BEST thing to do is TALK with the DR. He needs to explain why he held off doing it sooner and if he does not want to do it now then he needs to explain why. Good luck