Portacath Problems

maryjo

I've had a portacath since Oct. 2004 and it was used for chemo until June 2005. Only worked about half the time, couldn't get a blood return, so we'd use a vein. Due to the ongoing problem I get a "flush" every four weeks and the last four times there has been no blood return but I get the saline and heprin anyway. Asked my primary about having it removed and she said no, keep it in. Anyone else experiencing problems with their port and any suggestions.

I have had a port since last July with no problems. I do use it regularly, but would need it flushed monthly if I were not using it.

I would ask the doctor what should be done regarding the blood return. If the port doesn't work, why have it?

Mary

I've had my port since Aug. '05 and my chemo treatment ended in March. I have the port flushed every 8 weeks. Last time was yesterday, and they did not get a blood draw. That happened once before, but the nurses treat it as "I'd like to see a blood draw, but no big deal if I don't." I did taste the hep so the nurse was relieved about that.

I'm taking Tarceva now and my onc. wants me to keep the port in at least 6 months (2 PET scans) to make sure the Tarceva is working. Since it doesn't bother me, I'm reluctant to have it taken out.

Good luck.

Trish