gone?

lilyjohn

This was posted on a grieving support group that I joined not long after Johnny died. I was going through some old things deciding what to keep and found this. It goes along with our discussion of signs and afterlife.

I am standing upon the seashore. A sloop at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.

She is an object of beauty and strength, and I stand and watch her until at length she is only a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky meet and mingle with each other. Then someone at my side exclaims, "There, she’s gone!"

Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all. She is just as large in hull and mast and spar as she was when she left my side, and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of her destination. Her diminishing size is in me, not in her.

And just at the moment when someone at my side says, "She’s gone," there are other eyes watching for her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "There, she comes!"

And that is dying.