poem - All Is Well

melindasue37

All is Well

Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room. I am I, and you are you. Whatever we were to each other, that we still are. Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference in your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Pray, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was, let it be spoken without effect without the trace of a shadow on it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity. Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner.

All is well.

Henry Scott Holland

1847-1918

I really like this poem....the first few words are a little hard to digest but I think the rest of the poem is beautiful.

Melinda, I love this poem. I have read this many times and always feel a sense of comfort each time. You know, we have to really remember and believe these words after losing a loved one. I remember hearing an interview on the radio with Josh Groban, right after he released the song "To Where You Are." This song was dedicated to his dear GM, who he had loved very much. In the interview, Josh said that before her death, his GM used to tell him that every time he thought of her, she would be alive. This poem also brings that to mind. It's true. Memories of our love ones are what keep them alive and with us. I have been thinking of you and saying prayers for you and your family!!!